Chain links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I recently fitted a new 9 speed chain to a hybrid. I used the old method of big chainwheel to big cog at the back, plus an inch. Once it was all assembled it was obvious just looking at it that the chain was too short. The derailleur cage was at about 135 degrees in top gear. Today I have added a couple of links and it is much better, and is shifting through the gears more smoothly. Problem is I now have 3 snap links in the chain. I did boob today, I should have joined the end of the additional links to the old snap link then I would have only had two. My reasoning was to spread out the joins a bit so as not to have them all together. Anyway, what is the perceived wisdom. Can I run a chain with three joining links or should I cut my losses and get another chain. Possibly the fact I am asking the question may be a clue to the answer. Thanks in advance.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Why was it too short? - the method you describe is a good 'un. You would expect the derailleur cage to be at full stretch in big/big combination but you shouldnt run in that anyway if you can avoid it - although it's easy to make the occasional error. If your chain was really too short going into that would either: lock up the drive train completely or, break the derailleur. Been there, done that :cry:.

A too long chain is not good either... mech can fold up on itself and jam drive train that way too.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I have only just got round to looking at the chain again as regardless of their efficiency I wasn't happy with three quick links in it. I wonder if the apparently too short chain I originally commented on was anything to do with having a 28 bottom gear on the cassette and a 52 toothed top chainwheel. The rear mech is a long cage unit. I found on one Shimano site a very simple way of sizing my chain. In top gear (biggest front, smallest back) bring the chain together until both derailleur jockey wheels are vertically in line, then cut and join the chain at this measurement. I have today fitted a new chain using this method and it is perfect right across the whole gear range front and rear. I do feel happier with only one quick link in the chain.

Top Bottom