Chain Maintenance

DaleB

Active Member
Location
Manchester
Hi,

I was just wondering... What's the best product to use on my chain to keep it tip top.

Would it be lube or some kind of spray oil / grease ? (I haven't had my bike for long but would also like to know when you have to start applying this?)

Thanks ;)
 

rusty bearing

Über Member
Try GT85, give it a good spraying and wipe off excess afterward. Dont use 3 in 1 or anything heavy as it will collect bits of dirt and grit which will wear the chain out quicker.
 

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Location
Mlehworld
If you use GT85, i guarantee that you will wear out a chain quicker than if you use 3in1!! GT85 isn't an oil, and has no place being anywhere near a bikechain

I use finish line wet lube, as do many others
 

smeg

New Member
Location
Isle of Wight
I use transmission fluid mixed with engine oil, nice clean chain now. GT85 or similar is ok for giving it a clean up but I wouldn't use it on it's own all the time.
 
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Active Member
Location
Manchester
Ah, thanks everyone...

@porkypete, i'll have a look into that one cheers.

When would you suggest i start applying this to my chain - i've only done 48 miles on the bike thus far, yet on Sunday i'm setting off on a 200mile trip?
 

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Location
Suffolk.
Steve Austin said:
If you use GT85, i guarantee that you will wear out a chain quicker than if you use 3in1!! GT85 isn't an oil, and has no place being anywhere near a bikechain

I use finish line wet lube, as do many others
+ 1 do not put GT 85 on your chain. I also use finish line although I prefer the dry lube
 

PpPete

Guru
Location
Chandler's Ford
DaleB said:
Ah, thanks everyone...

@porkypete, i'll have a look into that one cheers.

When would you suggest i start applying this to my chain - i've only done 48 miles on the bike thus far, yet on Sunday i'm setting off on a 200mile trip?
The sooner you start using it, the less time there is for the black "grinding paste" to build up, and therefore less wiping.
 
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Active Member
Location
Manchester
porkypete said:
The sooner you start using it, the less time there is for the black "grinding paste" to build up, and therefore less wiping.

Thanks ;)
 

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Searrch here for 'chain cleaning' and 'Mickle Method' and you'll see that it's on the podium along with Campag vs. Shimano and Helmets as the most hotly debated topics.
I'd also wager one with a lot of bull too.
Over the best part of 30 years I've tried every method of chain cleaning available. I go with the Mickle method; wipe the chain with an oily rag (Baby wipes are perfect for this) apply some OK grade lube/oil to the rollers(I like finish line green as it doesn't wash out readily in the rain) run the chain around a few times and wipe off the excess, repeat and wipe. Do it frequently or when the chain looks gunky. Quick, simple, solvent free.

The ginding paste theory is over-rated IMO.
 
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Active Member
Location
Manchester
Fab Foodie said:
Searrch here for 'chain cleaning' and 'Mickle Method' and you'll see that it's on the podium along with Campag vs. Shimano and Helmets as the most hotly debated topics.
I'd also wager one with a lot of bull too.
Over the best part of 30 years I've tried every method of chain cleaning available. I go with the Mickle method; wipe the chain with an oily rag (Baby wipes are perfect for this) apply some OK grade lube/oil to the rollers(I like finish line green as it doesn't wash out readily in the rain) run the chain around a few times and wipe off the excess, repeat and wipe. Do it frequently or when the chain looks gunky. Quick, simple, solvent free.

The ginding paste theory is over-rated IMO.

Cheers, i have purchased some 'Finish Line - Dry Teflon Lube' today - will this do the trick?
 

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Steve Austin said:
If you use GT85, i guarantee that you will wear out a chain quicker than if you use 3in1!! GT85 isn't an oil, and has no place being anywhere near a bikechain

I use finish line wet lube, as do many others
-1

I use GT85 all the time. When I got a freebee bottle of Finish Line with a new cassette it made bugger all diference to chain life.

GT85 is a lube, provided you don't let the chain go dry it does the job.
 

Davidc

Guru
Location
Somerset UK
I agree wth porkypete and Fab Foodie. More or less.

The method is as good as it gets. since long before cc and mickle I've just wiped the chain, lubricated it, wiped it, and thats it. An extra lubrication and wipe after foul weather to help get rid of salt and mud though.

Like FF I'm not convinced by the grinding paste theory, I think replacing worn out chains is the important thing, that seems to give a good life for cassettes and chainsets.

Finish Line lubricants seem to work and repel water well. A bottle of dry lasts me about 18 months for 2 bikes.
 
Top Bottom