Chain oil for bikes - cheaper alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 5471328, member: 9609"]jeez - not to night dear I'm caring for my chain.

at £4.95 and the best part of a 1000 mile before 1% wear - without doing anything; half a pence a mile. why bother doing anything other than riding. - but make sure it goes for recycling though.[/QUOTE]
Where do you get chains for 4.95? Which ones?

And yours don't seem to last long.

Ajax Bay

Guru
[QUOTE 5471328, member: 9609"]at £4.95 and the best part of a 1000 mile before 1% wear - without doing anything;[/QUOTE]
Where do you get chains for 4.95? Which ones? And yours don't seem to last long.
Answer - see below
Of @User9609 's many quality posts, this is one of his finest (imo):

"I am still mid way through my own testing, this is what I have so far.
chainwear3_zpslzcvsnkz-jpg.jpg

I started a long term comparison test last April [2015] - bought a job lot of HG40 CN, 7 speed chains for a fiver each with the idea of using different lubes and taking them only to the 0.5% wear. All of my cycling is in the dry, easy pace, typically 1000' ascent every 16½ mile.
started to oil after first 150 mile. then use mickle method about every 50 mile (could vary from 30 to 70 dependent on ride) so wipe clean, one drip per roller then wipe clean. No specific cleaning and the whole process lubing taking about 5 minutes

Dry Lube - kept chain fairly clean, never feels wonderful, my impression was it was starting to gunge up and adding more of the stuff wasn't getting to where it is needed.

Magnatec (Engine Oil) this is supposed to cling to metal surfaces, top marque cars use it - Not as messy as I had thought, beautiful feel to it for the first 10 or 20 mile but soon starts to feel dry.

Sunflower Cooking Oil - Surprisingly clean, feels wonderful for first few miles but soon feels dry. On a 60 miler it squeaked for the last 30 (I guess this is what buggered it) It also smelt a bit like the oven needs cleaned out.

Oregan Chainsaw oil - its the messiest so far, but it never feels dry,feels decidedly gungy for the first few miles after lubing up. (last few hundred miles on wet and often salty roads)

Grease - just rubbing the stuff in with a nail brush - probably a lot less messy than i thought, certainly not as mucky as chainsaw oil. Nearly every single mile so fr has been done on wet salty roads, so the test is a little unfair but it is holding up quite well. (as lubing is a right faff with grease I will be only lubing every 150 - 200 mile)"

Last edited:
Thanks for the, er, link, pat but am afraid I don't trust unbranded chains.

That write up isn't overly impressive:

quote:

"Special Steel Materials"

Those chains only suitable for up to 8 speed as well.

Maybe you have had good experiences with them.

Top Bottom