Chain Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Just take my chain off the hybrid to clean. It is an 8 speed SRAM chain with a powerlink. I noticed that one of the chain links was loose (looked slightly 'bent'. There appears to be a crack going from the rivet hole thingy to the end of the link. Anyway I have used the chain tool to push the link back together and it all appears fine.
My question is - am I asking for trouble by doig this, or can I get away with it for a while? I kept the link I took off the chain for the powerlink, can I replace that link with this one without having to get any special pins?

An unrelated question - the tourer is a 9 speed Shimano chain. I'm looking at replacing it soon, can Ii put a powerlink on a shimano chain or will I have to get a SRAM one?

Ta

gbb

Legendary Member
If there's a crack in there Plax, bin it pronto.
I would only use it very lightly, if i absolutely had to. No getting out of the saddle, no hard pedalling at all. At least then if it does go, you wont end up in a heap on the floor.
But replace it pronto...

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
gbb said:
If there's a crack in there Plax, bin it pronto.
I would only use it very lightly, if i absolutely had to. No getting out of the saddle, no hard pedalling at all. At least then if it does go, you wont end up in a heap on the floor.
But replace it pronto...

Yeah, I suspected as much. Bit annoyed really, it's less than a year old and probably only done about 500 odd miles if that as it's on the bike I rarely use!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Gerry Attrick said:
Rplace it with a SRAM or KMC.

Is that in relation to the tourer and Shimano chain? It's a SRAM PC830 on the hybrid that has effectively died a premature death. Just checked my order history and I bought it in June last year so it's more than a year old (which makes me feel a little better). Milage wise, from June 2008 the hybrid has done 474.71 miles. How pants is that!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Chains are over-rated IMHO. Remove the pedals, lower the saddle and scoot.
*fed up with Plax being faster than me*
*and better at climbing*
*sulks*

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I suppose the type of weather and the amount of cleaning and lubrication it has seen must be taken into account.

To give my side of the story, I cream crackered a Shimano 8 speed chain on my hybrid in less than 200 miles. (You didn't misread that! My lbs confirmed it as I couldn't believe it either), whereas the replacement SRAM has lasted getting on for 1000 miles and counting. Both chains were cleaned and lubricated regularly.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Chains are over-rated IMHO. Remove the pedals, lower the saddle and scoot.
*fed up with Plax being faster than me*
*and better at climbing*
*sulks*

Well I'm still sulking about you getting a piece of carrot cake twice the size of mine! Serves you right really, all that extra weight from the cake slowed you down! :smile:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Gerry Attrick said:
I suppose the type of weather and the amount of cleaning and lubrication it has seen must be taken into account.

To give my side of the story, I cream crackered a Shimano 8 speed chain on my hybrid in less than 200 miles. (You didn't misread that! My lbs confirmed it as I couldn't believe it either), whereas the replacement SRAM has lasted getting on for 1000 miles and counting. Both chains were cleaned and lubricated regularly.

Well I do mainly take this bike out in bad weather so I don't suppose that helps (even though I put a power link on it so I could give the chain & cassette a good clean easier!). I totally knackered the Shimano one it came with after a little more than a 1000 miles (and had to change the cassette as well) from not cleaning it properly (completely neglecting it to be honest).
Hey ho, at least the cassette has only done 474 miles as well so no need for a new one of those too!
Must be something in the rain in Wales...........

Top Bottom