Chain Reaction ... Approved review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wbmkk

Veteran
I recently bought an item from Chain Reaction Cycles, based on price and previous experience.

A few weeks later I got an email asking me to give a review, which I was happy to do. Maybe a company being pro-active in asking for feedback etc is a good thing, but I had never experienced it before.

Now I get an email stating that my review had been approved. Just makes me think .. (was it approved because it was a good review ??)

Do they approve negative reviews too ? maybe I wouldn't if i was a shop

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I recently bought an item from Chain Reaction Cycles, based on price and previous experience.

A few weeks later I got an email asking me to give a review, which I was happy to do. Maybe a company being pro-active in asking for feedback etc is a good thing, but I had never experienced it before.

Now I get an email stating that my review had been approved. Just makes me think .. (was it approved because it was a good review ??)

Do they approve negative reviews too ? maybe I wouldn't if i was a shop

I posted a review to amazon saying how disappointed I was with the service I received regarding the order of a certain item and they refused to publish it saying I could only review the actual item not the seller or the service which was difficult as it never actually turned up :rolleyes:

BrynCP

Über Member
We don't sell bike stuff, but we moderate reviews to protect customers from seeing some of the abusive nonsense some people write and also the attempted spam. We publish negative reviews, typically with a response.

I posted a review to amazon saying how disappointed I was with the service I received regarding the order of a certain item and they refused to publish it saying I could only review the actual item not the seller or the service which was difficult as it never actually turned up :rolleyes:

I think that's usually a good thing; if you're looking for a product you want the star rating to reflect the product, not the service received. It's complicated with Amazon because of all the sellers available for a product.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I know wiggle dont like a bad review, i tried and they kept refusing it and i complained .
I did end up with a refund but the review never got listed .

We don't sell bike stuff, but we moderate reviews to protect customers from seeing some of the abusive nonsense some people write and also the attempted spam. We publish negative reviews, typically with a response.

I think that's usually a good thing; if you're looking for a product you want the star rating to reflect the product, not the service received. It's complicated with Amazon because of all the sellers available for a product.

It does my head in when people review the service\delivery instead of the product.

Hmmm, disagree, to a point. Are you not reviewing the 'experience'. i.e. the product might be 5* but if it takes 6 weeks to get there when it states 2 days, took numerous unanswered emails and telephone calls to get it in the first place etc should that not be part of the review?

Just asking :unsure:

BrynCP

Über Member
Hmmm, disagree, to a point. Are you not reviewing the 'experience'. i.e. the product might be 5* but if it takes 6 weeks to get there when it states 2 days, took numerous unanswered emails and telephone calls to get it in the first place etc should that not be part of the review?

Just asking :unsure:

The problems with that though are:
  • With Amazon, there could be 5 sellers for a product, 4 may be £1 cheaper than Amazon but provide awful service. There is only one product rating regardless of the seller; it could be in reality a 5 star product, but I will overlook in the search results because I see 1/5 stars.
  • As a manufacturer/supplier, I might take issue at a load of 1 star reviews because of Amazon's failings, even though my product was great.
  • It could be Yodel that caused the bad service. Yodel don't deliver here, so I wouldn't get the same service for the same product.
  • Not that Amazon would care, but my personal point of view, is that I may use Amazon for their reviews and buy elsewhere, just because they have a large database of reviews that a smaller site or high street shop doesn't have.
I think it's best to review the company and their service through the appropriate mediums, like Google Shopping or Trustpilot or forums etc. and use product reviews for the product.

That's only my view though.

Equally annoying is people giving a product 5 stars, because they got an email asking for a review, then the review reading something like "Bought for my husband for Christmas and he hasn't opened it yet, so I'll say 5 stars".

drummerbod

With Amazon you have the option to leave reviews for...
Seller (If not fulfilled by Amazon)
Packaging
Product

Just use the right one - rocket science it isn't.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
After experiencing negative reviews go missing repeatedly at Wiggle and Halfords,I tend not to trust review systems so much. I will only trust them when there are hundreds of reviews for the product I am looking at.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Equally annoying is people giving a product 5 stars, because they got an email asking for a review, then the review reading something like "Bought for my husband for Christmas and he hasn't opened it yet, so I'll say 5 stars".
Or it's a waterproof product and the review reads "used it a few times and all good so far, though it's not yet rained. I reckon it will be fine though."

:banghead:

byegad

Legendary Member
On Amazon you can review the seller. I found this out because I wrote a great review of a product and got a polite reply saying I'd placed it against the seller where only the sales experience should be commented on.

I had assumed that CRC (similarly Wiggle and Amazon) would publish all reviews. They sell so many variations, that it's no problem if one gets negative reviews, there will be other products that will get good reviews, so you will buy that (still from them) instead. In fact, it's probably in their interest for consumers to know if a product is actually any good: less returns and more return custom.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I had assumed that CRC (similarly Wiggle and Amazon) would publish all reviews. They sell so many variations, that it's no problem if one gets negative reviews, there will be other products that will get good reviews, so you will buy that (still from them) instead. In fact, it's probably in their interest for consumers to know if a product is actually any good: less returns and more return custom.

Wiggle have an automated system to check each review posted, I think it is supposed to be used for naughty words etc. However, it very often stops reviews that meet their guidelines from going through.

I know this because I contacted Wiggle to ask about why my reviews were not being posted. After a lot of to'ing and fro'ing they finally told me what was going on and manually allowed the reviews through.

Websites are open to abuse.

Trip Advisor was (is) notorious for malicious or exploitative reviews.

One of the biggest issues was teh "Give me a discount or I will give you a bad review on TripAdvisor"

There are also cases of rivals putting up bad reviews to discredit

Many sites filter the reviews for this reason.

The 'approval" in this context usually means that you are verified as a customer who has bought the product, as opposed to a malicious review

My problem is the Farcebook and such like where you are effectively bribed into giving a positive review

Others have the Farcebook "Like" button at checkout with a discount at the till if you press it

Top Bottom