Chain Reaction conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
I bought some shoes from CRC online, because of the price I qualified for free delivery to Canada, at the check out I was offered two free options regular or tracked or to pay for DHL service - I chose tracking. The shoes were sent DHL who charged me a brokerage fee. Can someone tell me where I went wrong or is a broker fee not a delivery charge?

Hi Ayeceejay,

Coming for a commercial point of view where we deal with shipments on large scale (30/40 Tonnes) it really depends on what were the agreed terms of shipping were, DDP or DAP?

If it was DDP then CRC is responsible for customs clearance and payment of any brokerage fees but if it was DAP you are respsonsible for delivery once it arrives at the airport/port for clearance and onward delivery.

Regardless of the terms all items imported into Canada are subject to a clearance fee (brokerage fee) so one party has to pay either way.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If Canada is like the UK you have to pay Customs duty & VAT on imports over a certain value (£18 in the UK). It sounds like DHL have paid these on your behalf and added their fee on top.

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
I have used CRC before as well as Planet X Wiggle and Ribble and have never had this before. I pay the postage (or claim free) and pay the customs/tax at the door. I am not querying the fact of import duty or tax but it seems odd to me that I was offered free delivery and CRC chose to send it DHL apparently knowing that there would be extra to pay.

jhawk

Veteran
I had the tracked shipping too, the last time I bought through CRC. I also had to pay a courier fee, because the parcel was delivered by Loomis Express, who is a courier for DHL. It was only a $10 fee, I think. I can't remember. Was your package delivered by DHL directly? (As in, a DHL truck?) Or did it go through another courier - like Loomis, Sameday, etc?

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
It turned out to be a comedy of errors actually jhawk.
DHL did farm it out to Loomis who lost it briefly but before that the tracking said that it was out for delivery
but it didn't arrive and when I checked I was told that it was being held for payment but with no further details
about how much or who and how to pay. I did finally get this information and paid then got a new delivery date
for a week later, it was then that Loomis entered the picture - lost the parcel and of course it wasn't delivered on time.
CRC also entered the wrong amount on the customs declaration so the fees were higher than they should have been.
So I was involved in this fiasco because (CRC told me) they chose "a fast and reliable courier service" on my behalf.

Top Bottom