Chain removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm planning to remove My chain for a degreasing. Can l just push out any old rivet and then push the same rivet back in when I reinstall? Park Tools blog mentions something about peening and special connecting rivets but is it that important? Chain is Shimano Sora 9spd.

Cheers,

Koga

Your chain probably has a linking part, which you can unclip.
I leave the chain in the bike when cleaning (use one of these brush boxes)
Not sure how old the chain has, but replacing may be an option ?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You could just use the Mickle method. No need to remove chain (or use degreaser).

If you remove a pin on a Shimano chain you have to use a special replacement as the chain will be weakened otherwise. The alternative is a quick link as mentioned above, such as these from KMC which are much more user friendly.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Get a nine speed KMC quick link, one that is purpose made to suit Shimano chains, The Sram ones can only be used once (I think) whereas the KMC ones can be used again and again. With luck you can remove the quick link just using your fingers but you might get a stiff one that needs the KMC tool to remove it.

BTW, if you need to replace the chain, get a KMC one. They are really good.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Get a nine speed KMC quick link, one that is purpose made to suit Shimano chains, The Sram ones can only be used once (I think) whereas the KMC ones can be used again and again. With luck you can remove the quick link just using your fingers but you might get a stiff one that needs the KMC tool to remove it.

BTW, if you need to replace the chain, get a KMC one. They are really good.
Cheers guys:thumbsup: got hold of a sram quick link in the end. Chap in the LBS said he uses them multiple times so should be OK I reckon.

Chain usually gets Mickled but whole drivetrain was getting pretty crudded up so wanted to take the lot apart for a really good clean and start afresh as it were. Will see how it rides tomorrow. :bicycle:

Don't think chain warrants replacing just yet but will heed KMC advice when time comes.

Top Bottom