Chain Repair Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cromcruaich

Had derailleur go into my back wheel today, part of the resulting devastation was the chain broke.

Is it worth repairing the chain, or for cost/time/structural soundness considerations do people generally just purchase a new one?

Tried searching here and a brief google, but no definitive answer was fourthcoming.

Radius

SHREDDER
I wouldn't try to repair a mashed chain, especially if it is badly damaged and / or a more modern 9sp.+, since they're fragile anyway...

Amanda P

Legendary Member
If the chain broke, it's quite likely that one or more of the little plates are bent. You could fix this by removing the bent ones, but the chain will end up shorter, and possibly too short.

Depending on what chain you have, simply re-fixing it with a chain rivet tool may not be straightforward (Shimano ones need a special rivet, I think).

If you're on a zero budget, give it a go.

In any other circumstances, replace the chain.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
How badly damaged, what needs repairing? If it's just a case of one link broke but it's still straight, I'd certainly at least consider a fix - especially if it's reasonably young. If it got mangled sideways/links are distorted, almost certainly a chucker.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Depends on how worn the other components are. Have the chain checked for wear and decide, depending on budget, if you need to cobble a couple of new links in or replace the whole drivetrain.

A good lesson here is keep your derailleur adjusted.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
It depends on the age of the chain for me. If it was new, i would check it for stiff links and as long as it ran smooth and had no twists, and the rivets all looked fine, I would continue using it.
Chances are that it may have twisted, or the rivets bent, so in all reality it will probably not be the best chain for long term usage.

OP
OP
C

Cromcruaich

Oh ta for advice, i've not had too close a look at it yet, but chucking it in the scrap recycling looks like the way to go.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Cromcruaich said:
Oh ta for advice, i've not had too close a look at it yet, but chucking it in the scrap recycling looks like the way to go.
If you're replacing it with a similar model then keep hold of it for spares. Can't hurt.

Top Bottom