Chain replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
I measure my chains using a Park Tool with the 2 prongs that fit between 2 chain links. I am aware that this tool is deemed, by many in here, to offer a pessimistic view and this is actually demonstrated in a new chain showing just under 0.5% wear when new.

On that basis I tend to change on the 0.75% marker. I checked mine last night and it’s showing as being just over the 0.5% marker after having covered 1,750 miles. It certainly suggests that I don’t need to change it for a while yet.

It does go to show that it’s worth using a tool, as I was always changing chains at 1,500 miles to minimise drivetrain wear.

As it happens, my cassette on the Bianchi is on its third chain, with around 4,700 miles ridden. There’s very little wear to the cassette and not experienced chain slip at all yet.

Obviously this is very subjective, but it does beg the question of whether the maximum chains per cassette is around 3, or actually a few more in many cases.

I wonder if anyone is able to give the mileage they have got out of an Ultegra 11 speed cassette out of interest?

Ajax Bay

Guru
my cassette on the Bianchi is on its third chain, with around 4,700 miles ridden. There’s very little wear to the cassette and not experienced chain slip at all yet.
Your good experience (ie no chain slip) is down to your schedule of replacing the first two chains at the 1500 miles or so point. First class. You now have two choices:
1) Keep this going (ie change the chain now) and see if you can get a fourth chain out of it.
2) Don't change the chain but run both chain and cassette on (irrespective of wear measurement) until you start getting slips.
Both options are valid but I'd favour (2). And buy a cassette ready (as well as a chain) so you don't miss a ride for want of a new one.
You cannot tell how much the cassette is worn by eye. The only way is to put a new chain on and put some powaahh down, in each of the 2/3 sprockets you use most. Slips = worn. No slip = happy days (and another 1500 miles).
@User9609 has a long term experiment going on this. He keeps all his used chains ( think he works on a group of 5, changing every 500?) and then reuses them on the steadily wearing cassette, and repeat.

bpsmith

Veteran
As it happens @Ajax Bay, I have a brand new Ultegra 11-25 cassette and a Dura Ace chain ready and waiting. The plan being to put those on when the deeper section rims come out.

The only delay will be not being able to use the other bike until my accident claim is resolved. 11-25 not ideal with semi compact on a lot of hills around me.

Will give the new chain/old cassette test a try shortly, just out of interest. Cheers.

Top Bottom