Chain ring bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
I don't particularly want to buy another tool but a couple of my crank bolts don't catch when I try to tighten them, what do people use to hold the back nut in place while tightening?

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
This job can often be done with a less than perfect engagement of the slot on the back of the sleeve nut. A regular screwdriver in just one side of the slot often works ok. Alternatively, you could find a knife from the cutlery drawer you don't want, and file it to the right shape, even quicker if you own a dremel type tool.

To make it easier, make sure that the threads are lightly greased, but the outside surface of the nut is free of grease to create some friction with the chainring.

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
Thanx guys but I just want to tighten my chain ring bolts not start WWIII.
I wondered about the grease/loctite thing too so thanks Tim.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Thanx guys but I just want to tighten my chain ring bolts not start WWIII.
I wondered about the grease/loctite thing too so thanks Tim.
A few more tips
1. make sure the chainring bolt and its sleeve nut will engage along the entire thread length before you install on the chainset. If there is a rough patch on the thread you'll never get it to catch without the proper tool
2. sometimes tightening the bolt very suddenly can help it catch

02GF74

Über Member
Usually using an allen key turned quickly has always worked for me; I only ever had one difficult one so I made the 'tool' from a strip of steel, held it in a vice and place the slotted bolt on top of it and managed to undo to bolt.

Top Bottom