Chain ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Hi all,

haven't been on a bike for ages, have now decided to convert my magnesium frame Carrera to a single speed. I currently have an 18t rear with spacers, going to get a chain tensioner (as my drop-outs are nearly vertical). I'm thinking a 44t front chain ring, does that sound reasonable? It's hilly round here and I'm not that fit, but figured that ratio would be ok for a few shorter runs and maybe the odd commute (5 mile each way).

I've trawled e-bay, Amazon, Evans, Wiggle for coloured front rings but does anyone know anywhere else? It's not going to be used that often so only need a cheap one (<£20).

Next I'm going to sand and prepare the frame, was thinking either vinyl wrap or just spraying it. Going to hack off the eyelets for gear change cables as well. I already have a light tan saddle (charge spoon), and am re-using some MTB handlebars but may well lop half an inch of the ends.

As a road bike (i.e. in it's original 2x10 spd form with drops and 105 groupset) it weighed 9.5 kg so I think it's going to be nice and light.

Sharky

Guru
Hi,

44.18 is a 64" gear which is towards the low end of what you would run on a single speed. But it all depends on terrain, fitness and technique. I use a 44.17 ratio and can manage up to a 1 in 8 gradient before I get off and walk.

Good lunch with the project.

Keith

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
depends on terrain, fitness and technique
Cheers Keith. it will be used as more of a fun bike, little jaunts, and there are quite a few longish inclines, plus I'm not that fit (I would average 11mph over 20 odd miles). I already have the rear cog so if needs be I could also buy a different one if the gearing is too low. I may also get a flip-flop in future when I'm bored of the freewheel

Lonestar

Veteran
I converted my Dawes Audax to single speed about two years ago and had plenty of problems with chain slipping.Didn't really use it and it had laid idle for most of this time (as I used the fixies).I persevered as I was going to scrap it but managed to fix the problem with the chain tensioner as not enough of the chain was covering the rear cog.Now I am converting it back to either 7/14 (or less 5/10 at the least) gears as the single speed wheel I had on it has been done in a geared flavour.(Bought from Taiwan)

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Magnesium frame? Really?
Yes, I bought it around 2 years ago, and it was probably ~10 years old then. I didn't do it on purpose, it was just the best bike to come up on e-bay on my budget at the time. It's quite firm, but then I only have MTB to compare.

Tim Hall

magnesium frame, dont go out in the rain.
Sodium frame would be the one not to ride in the rain. Googling shows quite a few hits for magnesium carrera so it is a thing. I'd suspect some kind of alloy, rather than pure Mg. Isn't Kirk the magnesium framed bike of choice?

Edi

ETA:
OP: you mention getting a flip flop hub for when you get tired of single speed. This suggests you're going to try fixed wheel. This won't work with a chain tensioner.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'd suspect some kind of alloy, rather than pure Mg.
OP: you mention getting a flip flop hub for when you get tired of single speed. This suggests you're going to try fixed wheel. This won't work with a chain tensioner.
Yes I gather it's a magnesium alloy, if you want to do some more looking then specifically it's a Carerra Vengeance, which I think they now call a model of their MTB. I tried finding a similar model on various websites, but couldn't find a single one. I don't know why they were so rare/unpopular, as it seems a really good bike for the budget end user.

OK, thanks for the tip re: fixed wheel. Why wouldn't it work? I thought the chain tensioner just took up the slack?

Top Bottom