Chain-rings and Cassettes, your thoughts please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monkspeed

I currently have a triple upfront 30-39-50 and the cassette is 12-25 I think, on my Btwin Triban 3 road bike.

I would like to swap the front for a double but I'm not sure I would need a compact. On hills in general and especially today when tackling a very steep hill I only used the middle chainring (39) and was on 25 at the back and I was surprised that I coped just fine.

So its got me thinking maybe I would be fine with a 39/53 double and a 11-28 cassette, BUT then again I find I very rarely use the 50 ring and 12 cassette, because by then I am just coasting down hills, so a 53/11 would be complete overkill I think.

So should I get a compact 34/50 and maybe a 12-28 cassette?

And the next question, who to go with! I'm tending towards an SRAM Apex groupset, what do you think?

What about the bottom bracket, will I need to replace this? Whats a good one? The Triban is a french bike so do you think it has English or italian threads? I'm thinking Italian...

Cheers.

:smile:

ushills

Veteran
You will probably have to replace the shifters as well, check if they are compatible with a double.

I would go with 50/34 and 12-28 or 12-25.

Keep ploughing away using whatever selection that keeps you comfortable. Why change?
Instead of investing £s in higher spec gear, it is probably a reasonable plan to think about a different frame and componentry...your body, riding company etc...sheer desire will tell you when the time is right! Riding with a group is sometimes the best way to pick up particular 'nuances' and possibly 'test ride' a potential purchase.:smile:

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

You will probably have to replace the shifters as well, check if they are compatible with a double.

I would go with 50/34 and 12-28 or 12-25.

Yeah I want to change the shifters, I hate these Sora shifters.
I guess the 12-25 will provide a smoother transition between gears vs the 12-28?

50/34 and 12-25 sounds good though. :smile:

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

Keep ploughing away using whatever selection that keeps you comfortable. Why change?
Instead of investing £s in higher spec gear, it is probably a reasonable plan to think about a different frame and componentry...your body, riding company etc...sheer desire will tell you when the time is right! Riding with a group is sometimes the best way to pick up particular 'nuances' and possibly 'test ride' a potential purchase.:smile:

Well I guess the main reason I want to change is to get Tiagra style shifters and loose a bit of weight from the chainring swap in the process.

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

Monkspeed, I'd be tempted to fit a compact like on my trainer, its a 38/52 and give you the adaptability if down the line you find you need to go lower, I don't think you can with a traditional compact other than by increasing the cassette size.

Where can I get a 38/52 from though? i've only seen a 34/50 and a 36/50. Mind you i've not looked at Campag offerings... Just SRAM and Shimano.

Top Bottom