Chain skipping?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Libero

I recently took my bike apart to remove some rust and re-paint it, and ever since cleaning everything and putting it back together the chain sort of skips as soon as you put a bit of force into it. It's not the main cogs as I've put as much force as I could with the bike still and the chain didn't budge(skip).
However when I cycle, unless I go dead slow the chain kind of skips and it increases as I put more power in; the jockey wheels are quite worn down and i can move the top one by hand when the bike is still (the chain doesn't move) so I believe this is the problem but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before and what they did.

I just put a new chain so it can't be the chain being streched etc. (but it could be the fact that the cain is new so it woun't properly match upp with the worn parts) and the shifters aren't indexed so the indexing isn't an issue.

Tim Hall

I recently took my bike apart to remove some rust and re-paint it, and ever since cleaning everything and putting it back together the chain sort of skips as soon as you put a bit of force into it. It's not the main cogs as I've put as much force as I could with the bike still and the chain didn't budge(skip).
However when I cycle, unless I go dead slow the chain kind of skips and it increases as I put more power in; the jockey wheels are quite worn down and i can move the top one by hand when the bike is still (the chain doesn't move) so I believe this is the problem but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before and what they did.

I just put a new chain so it can't be the chain being streched etc. (but it could be the fact that the cain is new so it woun't properly match upp with the worn parts) and the shifters aren't indexed so the indexing isn't an issue.
Your last sentence has nailed it. New chain on worn sprockets makes for a skipping chain. New cassette or freewheel is needed. What bike is It? Is it a cassette (freehub) or a freewheel? If you don't know, how many sprockets at the back?

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

When you say skipping do you mean from one sprocket on the cassette to another (ie. Changing gear) or slipping round on the same sprocket?

Tim Hall

More thoughts: Have you still got the old chain? If so, measure twelve complete links (that's a set of inner plates and a set of outer plates). When new it should be 12 inches. As the chain gets worn that increases. Let us know how long it is.

OP
OP
L

Libero

Your last sentence has nailed it. New chain on worn sprockets makes for a skipping chain. New cassette or freewheel is needed. What bike is It? Is it a cassette (freehub) or a freewheel? If you don't know, how many sprockets at the back?
it's a freehub, but i don't think the main cassete is the issue, could it be the jockey wheels or something else?

OP
OP
L

Libero

More thoughts: Have you still got the old chain? If so, measure twelve complete links (that's a set of inner plates and a set of outer plates). When new it should be 12 inches. As the chain gets worn that increases. Let us know how long it is.
unfortunatley i don't have the old chain.

Cassettes and chains mesh in unison. A new chain will take a while to form a ‘firm handshake’ with an old cassette. It probably never will be perfect. It’s always a good idea to change cassettes and chains in unison.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Another vote for new chain on old cogs being at fault, either put the old chain back on or fit a new freewheel/cassette.

Top Bottom