chain slip after inflating tyres?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adunn01

Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions, was cycling to work this morning and stopped at a garage to put some air in the tyres to make them harder on the road.

As soon as I did this and set off again the gear started slipping ever 5 rotations or so.

Coincidence or could the two be related at all, advice so far suggests not related.

Thanks, Ally

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Coincidence -

PS don't use a garage pump/compressor for the bike - not wise !!

RedBike

Coincidence

btw, A garage compressor is unlikely to inflate your tyres high enough.
Most car tyres take approximately 30psi, depending on what tyres you've got on the bike you should be running them at something like 100psi

yello

Complete coincidence.

There are a number of possible causes for chain slip; worn/stretched chain, worn teeth on chainring. Is it a double, or triple? Is it slipping on the cassette? Or the chain ring? If so, which chain ring is it slipping on?

OP
OP
A

adunn01

thanks for the advice on compressors everyone!

it's a triple, slipping on the cassette. The bike's second hand but was almost unused by the previous owner so it might just be the bike 'setting in' from it's early weeks of use?

i've been told lbs for tuning for the indexing is my best bet. def best bet for a beginner?

OP
OP
A

adunn01

problem found!

had a chance there to turn the bike upside down on my lunch. there's a shard of metal jammed in one of the chain links which has meant the link's stuck fast and can't travel through the cassette smoothly, so as it passes through it gives the loose feeling you get for the fraction of a second that the bike's changing gears (tech term for that?!). Removing the link's looking like the solution to this one. (i hope!)

AnotherComeBack

Before you take it to your LBS. First make sure that nothing has got jammed between the sprockets of the rear gear block, (compressed mud/grease/leaves/string). This would stop the chain settling properly on the sprocket teeth.
To check adjustment of rear gear mechanism, get chain on middle ring of chainset and closest to middle rear spocket, tip bike upside down on an old piece of carpet/matt or grass to protect handlebars/gear levers, saddle. Turn pedals, if the gear mech is out of alignment adjust the cable adjuster 1/2 turn at a time untill chain runs quietly. Check that the gear jockey wheels are vertically aligned one above the other (by looking from the back), also check that the bottom sprocket of the gear mechanism is in line with the middle ring of chainset and that the chain forms a straight line betweeen them (gear mech or the lug to which it is bolted may have been bent in or twisted).

on the road

Über Member
fossyant said:
Coincidence -

PS don't use a garage pump/compressor for the bike - not wise !!
It's okay to use a gararge pump as long as you're careful, it'll be a good idea to have a tyre pressure gauge with you and don't rely on the pressure gauge on the car pump.

RedBike said:
Coincidence

btw, A garage compressor is unlikely to inflate your tyres high enough.
Most car tyres take approximately 30psi, depending on what tyres you've got on the bike you should be running them at something like 100psi
Most car pumps only go up to about 60 PSI but you can find some that go higher, there's one near me that's capable of well over 100 PSI.

Top Bottom