Chain slipping...advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geopat

Über Member
I have a basic Spez Sirrus which after 3 years hard pedalling (3k miles)seems to be a bit past it.

Chain is slipping when putting high pressure on the pedals and chain is aso a little too loose.

Need advice on whether its worth getting a replacement groupset (LBS hinted it isn't), upgraded groupset (currently basic Shimano) or new bike altogether.

Any advice appeciated. Thanks.

You probably need a new chain,chainrings and cassette - £50 odd quids worth at a guess.

It may be that just the chain needs replacing - but sods law dictates that the other two components will be nackered as well.

OP
OP
geopat

geopat

Über Member
Forgot to add that it does not shift into the middle ring easily either but this could be a chain tension issue.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You have a good bike that you've had for three years and you're considering 'a new bike altogether'?

As resident cheapskate, may I say that if your LBS hinted that you don't need a new chainset, they're probably right (and a good LBS....they have a vested interest in selling you a new one). But after 3K hard, you may very well need a new chain. Try one. A KMC for a tenner, give or take. If that doesn't sort it, come back for more.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If things have got so that a chain/cassette/chainrings that have been used together have started slipping, all three need replacing. At least the most popular chainring if not two.
"Slipping" means the pedals giving way when stomped on, to the accompaniment of graunching noises.
Two chainrings is usually cheaper than a new chainset, but check first.

Plax

Guru
If you haven't changed any gear cables for the three years I'd also look at changing them.

Personally I'd change the cables and get a new chain. You may well get away with that. However from the sounds of it you may well need to get a new cassette as well. I'd leave the chain rings for now, there shouldn't be cause for changing them just yet unless you like spending money.

On my hybrid I had to get a new chain and cassette as I'd left it too long, on the tourer I changed the chain pretty promptly (after nearly 3,000 miles) and managed to get away with just the chain.

I've recently changed both the gear cables on the tourer. It's surprising at how nice the gears shift with new cables. I thought the old ones were shifting fine still, but were looking a bit grubby, but the newer cables, well, they are just so nice!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Get the chain. If that doesn't work, change the cassette too. People say you have to change the two together, but I haven't found it necessary. If it proves necessary, there's nothing to stop you. But I'd wait for proof, personally.

I've had my Sirrus Elite for 2 years and done just over 6,000 miles... on my 3rd chain but chainrings and cassette are still original.

I'd start with the cheap option of changing the chain first and see what happens... unless you're feeling a bit flush, in which case, get a new bike!:evil:

OP
OP
geopat

geopat

Über Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']Get the chain. If that doesn't work, change the cassette too. People say you have to change the two together, but I haven't found it necessary. If it proves necessary, there's nothing to stop you. But I'd wait for proof, personally.[/quote]

Will that definately fit my Sirrus?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There are different models and I'm no expert, but so long as your rear cassette has no more than eight sprockets, then yes.

zacklaws

Guru
My experience a little while ago was I had to replace, everything. If your chain wears (stretches) to a certain size then it also means everything else has worn too. My chain measured 308mm between 12 complete links (If I remember right) from pin to pin which indicates my chain was well worn. I only replaced my chain and it just started jumping. In the end I had to replace my chain rings and rear cassette.

If you search the net it will tell you the accurate measurements for what you need to change, as if it is only slightly worn you can get away with just changing the chain, anymore and you will have to change the cassette and possibly the chainrings.

nmcgann

Veteran
In a nutshell: 1/16in stretch over 12in - new chain, 1/8in stretch - new chain and very likely cassette. More than 1/8in - chain, cassette and maybe chainring(s).

Replace chains at 1/16in stretch and the cassette will last for a lot longer - 3 chains per cassette is common.

Neil

Top Bottom