chain slippng on cassete

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

veb

espicially when climbing and possibly in a higher gear than neccessary my chain has started to slip over the rear cog without moving up or down , any ideas anyone?

zacklaws

Guru
Sounds like your chain is worn out and needs replacing and more than likely your cassette as well and even your chain rings if the wear is excessive.

There is plenty of similar threads on this line on the forum if you have a quick browse

Davidc

Guru
Check your chain and the cassette for wear and replace as necessary. The Sheldon Brown website and others have details of how to check them.

I've found that cassettes last 2 or 3 times as long as a chain but I know some people always change both together.

zacklaws

Guru
Yes it could be worn out with just that mileage and if its not been maintained, I wore one out last year with only 867miles according to my maintenance records but only had to replace the chain and also wore one out with 2849 miles which also required new cassette and chain rings. Just lubricating a chain is not enough, it needs to be cleaned as well before lubricating it otherwise fresh oil just causes more problems with more crap sticking to it.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
First check that you haven't got any stiff links, as these can also cause chain slip.
Turn the pedals backwards and watch the chain where it comes out of the rear mech.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Stiff links are quite likely after use on salted roads. Turn the pedals and look for any links that don't straighten out properly. You can often cure these by vigorous twisting side to side. Lubricate thoroughly afterwards. If you don't find any stiff links then, yes, chain, and possibly cassette, need replacing.

Top Bottom