Chain snapped today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

n-ick

If it's an original ICE chain, it'll be a KMC chain . You're better off with an sram , I fitted a pc951 to 9 speed. You'll need to buy 3 chains , they come with power links. Don't be tempted to rejoin chain using a chain tool, they break!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I found the KMC chain was better than the SRAM when I changed mine (I'm on my fourth chain after 15,000 miles). Horses for courses!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I am so not getting into this, as its akin to inviting the puncture fairy's family over for tea, but I've got 6500+ miles on the SMGTe's chain, and 4000+ on the KMC lightweight.

Given the hell I've put them through (year round commutes, 850 miles with a missing idler, etc...) I guess I'm overdue a snap. My mind says "the chain only really wears where its being wrapped around a tight radius or manhandled by the derailleur, so although I'm running 3 chains on each, only one of each is being worn at any time. Thus each chain has really only done 1500-2500 miles."

I know... I know... My mind won't be so clever when I'm walking the bent home next week.

Fiona N

Veteran
Auntie Helen said:
...I'm on my fourth chain after 15,000 miles...

Blimey - what am I doing right: my Windcheetah is still on it's first chain after more than 40,000 miles and 9 years - and yes, I do check wear with a Parker chain gadget :tongue:

Could it be something to do with that offset wheel - less crud on the chain?

Alf

Guru
Fiona N said:
Blimey - what am I doing right: my Windcheetah is still on it's first chain after more than 40,000 miles and 9 years - and yes, I do check wear with a Parker chain gadget :sad:

Could it be something to do with that offset wheel - less crud on the chain?
That's amazing! What do you do about cleaning and lubrication of the chain, if I may ask? Has your cassette lasted all those miles too?

Alf

Top Bottom