Chain Snapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Coming down a hill at 28 mph (strava) and the chain snapped, now waiting for wife in car to rescue. The bike isn't that old, about four months. Has anybody have this happen to them on the Brommie?

Your chain didn't snap as you came down the hill. You broke it by doing a poor gear shift.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Eh, when I was going up a hill it was making a bit of a clicking noise, then a bit of a straight top gear and then down. Then snap. I thought a Brompton was tough.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
If one side of the chain link failed it would have started to click, try to jump gears and eventually fail under load.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Eh, when I was going up a hill it was making a bit of a clicking noise, then a bit of a straight top gear and then down. Then snap. I thought a Brompton was tough.
A Brompton is tough but can still have a duff chain. I can't think that it's down to poor shifting otherwise I'd have got through half a dozen chains by now. How has the chain failed?

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I'll bring it back to the shop for them to fix, they will probably charge me, I think I'll get a knew chain.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3883338, member: 9609"]I don't understand why it would snap when you weren't pedalling - or is it a fixie ?[/QUOTE]

No Reiver, it's a H6L

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The chain has come apart in one link.
Did the side plate split or has it come off the pin?
Was it a quick link used for joining the chain?

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
rPb0djG.jpg

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Well I called ''Cycleworks'' in Petersfield today and explained the Brompton I bought four or five months ago from them now had a snapped chain. They said bring it in and if it's the chain they will replace it. I promptly dropped it in to them, the lad said I think it is just the power link (?) leave it with them. I went back within the hour, he said the chain was fine and it must have been a faulty link, to which he then said that'll be two pounds please. I said so you think it was a faulty link and that will be two pounds, yes he said. So I paid the two pounds and walked out of the shop that I thought was going to be my local LBS where I would buy my next bike, shame that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom