Chain Snapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Ok since they put a new link on the chain I have noticed a lot more clicking and the odd slip of gear. I don't want to be a 'here comes him again ' sort so was wondering if this is a defect or normal. It doesn't sound quite right.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Ok since they put a new link on the chain I have noticed a lot more clicking and the odd slip of gear. I don't want to be a 'here comes him again ' sort so was wondering if this is a defect or normal. It doesn't sound quite right.

Quick links need to be matched to the type of chain (8/9/10/11-speed) and even then there is scope for confusion (two different widths for 8-speed KMC links, as I found out the hard way). Too narrow a link simply won't fit, but too wide a link could well introduce changing problems.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
You should be able to see whether the quick link is appreciably wider than the chain width, in which case there will also be noticeable side-to-side play in the link itself.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well I called ''Cycleworks'' in Petersfield today and explained the Brompton I bought four or five months ago from them now had a snapped chain. They said bring it in and if it's the chain they will replace it. I promptly dropped it in to them, the lad said I think it is just the power link (?) leave it with them. I went back within the hour, he said the chain was fine and it must have been a faulty link, to which he then said that'll be two pounds please. I said so you think it was a faulty link and that will be two pounds, yes he said. So I paid the two pounds and walked out of the shop that I thought was going to be my local LBS where I would buy my next bike, shame that.
Pi55 poor customer service there ....

Fab Foodie

Make sure the chain is well lubed and run the bike around a bit, if it doesn't sort itself out then go back to the shop and make sure everything is adjusted properly.

Are the jockey wheels clean? They can get cruddy being low to the ground.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Make sure the chain is well lubed and run the bike around a bit, if it doesn't sort itself out then go back to the shop and make sure everything is adjusted properly.

Are the jockey wheels clean? They can get cruddy being low to the ground.

I oiled it well Wednesday and it was much the same yesterday, I will check the jockey wheels but would imagine they should still be ok at this early stage. Cheers FF

Fab Foodie

I oiled it well Wednesday and it was much the same yesterday, I will check the jockey wheels but would imagine they should still be ok at this early stage. Cheers FF
Wonder if there has been some cable stretch since you bought- it new .... Much like cable derailleur systems - that might cause some gear jumping?

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Wonder if there has been some cable stretch since you bought- it new .... Much like cable derailleur systems - that might cause some gear jumping?
About a month ago it went in for its six week service, which I think they should have done that then. Although maybe not.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I've got a click, click, clicking going on when it's in 5th and 6th gear, so it's booked in on Wednesday for them to sort it out..........hopefully.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You know the hub gear itself makes an increasing ticking noise as you go up the gears.

It could be the gear cable that has stretched or come slightly out of alignment accentuating the natural tick tick tick of the sturmey 3 speed hub.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Well they adjusted something near the hub although it's still ticking it doesn't sound as bad and I guess now it's at the stage shouldbeinbed has described above. Now I'm just going to enjoy the ride which I did today on the commute.

Top Bottom