Chain stretch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Have one of the Park tools chain checkers. Want to replace chains before too stretched. At what reading should I be replacing the chain ?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Ta very much for that YoungOldBloke. I am just about on that ( or will be in a few weeks ). My KMC SL chain has lasted extremely well and I`ll be changing for the same again. Think I`ve about 5,000 K on it ( accidentally reset my comp a few months back ) which is pretty remarkable for such a light bit of kit... got about half that on my original Ultegra chain ! Anyway ta again for the supplied info.

Crankarm

Guru
Have you checked the chain for stretch all the way around it's length rather than in just one position? Surprisingly stretch does vary along the length of the chain. I have found some sections have stretched more than others. I change a chain when between 0.75 and 1.0 and have not observed any ill affects to the cassette, chain rings or jockey wheels.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Ta very much for that YoungOldBloke. I am just about on that ( or will be in a few weeks ). My KMC SL chain has lasted extremely well and I`ll be changing for the same again. Think I`ve about 5,000 K on it ( accidentally reset my comp a few months back ) which is pretty remarkable for such a light bit of kit... got about half that on my original Ultegra chain ! Anyway ta again for the supplied info.

At £53 I would hope it lasted longer that a £20 chain...

D

Deleted member 1258

Have you checked the chain for stretch all the way around it's length rather than in just one position? Surprisingly stretch does vary along the length of the chain. I have found some sections have stretched more than others. I change a chain when between 0.75 and 1.0 and have not observed any ill affects to the cassette, chain rings or jockey wheels.
[/quo

On my fixed the chain is full of tight and loose spots but its a cheap one from the local market and its been on for about ten months now.

tyred

Legendary Member

On my fixed the chain is full of tight and loose spots but its a cheap one from the local market and its been on for about ten months now.

That's more likely to be down to a chainwheel which isn't quite round or not mounted concentrically.

D

Deleted member 1258

That's more likely to be down to a chainwheel which isn't quite round or not mounted concentrically.

I recon its a bit of both myself, I got the chain ring as centred as I could when I fitted it and have checked it a couple of times since.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Reply to HJ above re £53 for KMC SL chain. It actually cost £31 from Merlin Cycles. That was price last year from Merlin ( May09 ). This year cost is £38. Still a heck of a lot cheaper that the cost at a lot of online suppliers. I consider it a price worth paying even tho Merlin have raised its charge AND removed the option to buy several at decreasing unit cost.
To the poster who referred to checking several places along the chain. I did not think to do this but having taken your advice I find no variation along the chain length.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

My apologies, the cost this year from Merlin is actually £33 for the KMC SL ( Silver ).

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
My point was that at that price you would expect more for your money, that is about the same price as a Dura-Ace chain. If I were paying that much for a chain I would not be happy if it only lasted a couple of thousand miles, but if I were buying a Shimano HG53 then I would be surprised if it lasted more than 3k miles...

Top Bottom