Chain Tensioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Thanks for the help on the frame discussion folks, I'll still be getting a frame but decided to run the new hub gear wheel on my vertical drops bike for now. So this means a chain tensioner, I don't want to take the EBB step yet.

Looking at what's available and the choice is bewildering, though the Surly seems to get good reviews. I have seen mention made of whether the tensioner pushes up, ie wraps more chain round cog, or pushes down limiting chain and cog meshing. The bike I want it for is the Giant CRS Alliance 2008

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/lifestyle/2138/31773/?collections_id=3

Is there any way, other than trial and error, of working out in advance which tensioner would do the best job on this bike?

MartinC

Über Member
You need to check how much deflection in the chain you'll need to get the tension right. It needn't be much - the chain only needs to be just too long (1 full link longer than too tight). In this case up or down makes little difference - there should be plenty of chain wrap and tension.

You also need to check that the tensioner you select can match the chain line you've got - if it's low (around 40mm) the jockey wheel may not adjust inwards enough. Assuming you chainline is good (straight) you can measure this at the chainring - distance from the middle of the chain to the seat tube + 1/2 the seat tube diameter. Or you may have the manufacturers figure for the hub (depends which way round you fit the sprocket on a hub gear).

To confuse you even further you can get half links for chains - with one of these you can adjust the chain length to within 1/2" and dispense with the tensioner.

And even further - Shimano make an Alfine chain tensioner that has 2 jockey wheels like a rear mech. Downsides are more inefficiency from 2 wheels and the chain line is fixed (43mm or so IIRC).

e-rider

crappy member
+1 for the surly - i've been using one for over a year now with no probs - it is quite noisy though! Not sure if that's normal or whether I have a dodgy one!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd go for the half-link myself.
Chain tension is only really important for fixed. On road, not pedalling at silly RPM, the chain is pretty unlikely to come off in normal riding, and with a freewheel it's only a minor inconvenience if it does. Using a single speed chainring rather than a derailleur one will help.

Top Bottom