Chain tensioning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Whats the best way to gt it right when you have forward facing horizontal drop-outs? I've tried but after a ride the chain will go slightly slack again. Dont think i am putting enough tension on it, but i dont think just undoing the bolts pulling them back and doing them back up works, because i then have to undo one side to straighten it all up.
What you reckon?

Cyclista

Joe,
I had a similar problem when I got my fixed a few months ago, thought about chain tugs, but after a post on here I decided to stick with it and see if I could get the technique down. All I do now is stuff my hand down inbetween the frame and the rear wheel to provide the tension required then do the wheelnuts up, seems to work every time. If you dont want to have to do this every time then have a look for Tugs like these, make the whole process a piece of cake once you've set them up.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

I've tried that, but the clearence is pretty damn tight, too tight for me to get my hand in. :becool: Maybe i should try to slide my hand down the seat tube to push it back?
Will those chain tensioners still work on forward facing ones? I didnt think they would because the thing that is ment to hold it wouldnt?

Cyclista

Ah, forward facing, should have paid more attention! Nope, those tugs are for rear facing ones.....Have you not got an old wooden or rubber door wedge that you could use, one of these would seem to be ideal. Got me interested now, going for a bit of a google.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Brilliant, never thought of that. I'll give that a try tomorrow, i'm sure there are some wood ones knocking around.
There must be something for forward facing ones

Cyclista

After a bit of rummaging around I found this and this asking the same question. It seems that tugs can be fitted to a frame with forward facing dropouts, however it does require some modification of the tugs :sad:. Seems to be a bit difficult getting an accurate description of what is involved in the modification, not too sure I'd want to be grinding away at a brand new Surly Tugnutt!

That MTBR link said:
There used to be a special tensioner (tugnut) made for this purpose when bikes with forward facing dropouts were common.

One version was made by Cyclo. They come up on eBay from time to time, but they are usually heavily contested. (Try eBay.co.uk)

It might be worth having a look out for these, but a five minute google gets me nothing.

EDIT
Okay it seems you are not alone in your quest, the guys over at LondonFGSS have got this guy looking into getting replicas made of the Cyclo tugs mentioned above. May be worth joining to ask how the progress is going.....

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Thanks Cyclista, had a look at those links.
I'm sure i could have a go at making that chain tensioner. Dont think it would need much skill.
I do like the Surly Tugnutt though, but would hate the be grinding anything off it.;)

Thanks for the help!:biggrin:

Fixedwheelnut

Search cycle jumbles for the old 'Cyclo chain tugs' usually between £1.00 and £5.00 a pair depending on condition.

P.jpg

chaintug2-1.jpg

rustychisel

Joe,

you should be able to get tension right by using a hand between tyre and seat tube... but another tip is to use a tennis ball wedged in there.

If the nuts aren't keeping the tension something else is amiss... dropouts ground down, nuts not doing their job, droupout faces misaligned... they're not titanium are they?

ASC1951

Guru
Joe24 said:
i dont think just undoing the bolts pulling them back and doing them back up works, because i then have to undo one side to straighten it all up.
All I do is to undo both axle nuts, push the wheel back and off-centre until the chain is nearly tight, spanner the nut on that side tight, push the wheel straight with a thumb on the front rim, hold it there and spanner the other nut tight.

I've never had a problem with it coming loose during a ride.

bonj2

is it coming loose because the wheel is sliding forwards in the dropouts?
would that tend to mean you're not tightening them enough?

OP
OP
J

Joe24

I need to get some proper (how can i say this:wacko:) nuts ;) I dont have the ones that have the spinny bits that clamp down.
I've tightened it, and will check the nuts tomorrow, taking it on the club ride, the Giant is in the caravan because i couldnt get it home. Only just got back.

Top Bottom