Chain unshipped somehow; shorts not soiled.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
On the way home yesterday, going downhill, my chain unshipped. I've often wondered how that would feel- it's odd skidding for so long, but controlling it felt pretty natural, then I came to a nice stop, unclipped and stepped off thinking something like: that worked out much better than it might have.

Previous night- late- when I was riding home I could feel a slight tick somewhere in the drivetrain, didn't investigate as it was dark- and it really was slight, barely there at all. The chain was reasonably mangled after so can't really identify if there was a problem with it or not. Also bent cog somewhat. I'll investigate more at the weekend.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How's the frame !

Profpointy

Legendary Member
same thing happened to me this morning - chain came right off - thankfully without jamming the (fixed) wheel as I was zooming downhill at the time. I'd planned to adjust it on the weekend - but perhaps should do it before the ride home. Also didn't re-attach my pannier properly - which duly fell of without my noticing - but a kind chap in his car shouted through his window to let me know.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
How's the frame !

Likely OK. Hopefully hub is too.

Will take a proper look tomorrow, or will delegate as I found out yesterday evening I have three C-spanners, none of which fit my particular lockring- will probably ask LBS to whip off the cog and take a look.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3084910, member: 30090"]The chain has come off. Brown trouser moment occurs when the chain falls between the sprocket and hub and the wheel locks.[/QUOTE]
Can trash the rear tyre as well, not nice :eek:

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Talking about the paint......

Maybe, I don't care much about it. That's why I like that particular bike. It's not old, has no particular character (it's a Specialized!). I keep it going, maintain it, but I if it gets dinged I'm sort of pleased.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
So the hub's a goner. The cog wasn't bent, it had sort of skewed on the thread, part of the thread on the hub was sort of smeared out and the sprocket thread was cracked right through from one side to the other. LBS had never seen one like it and will send it back to the manufacturer. I'm still not sure what might've happened.

mangid

Guru
So the hub's a goner. The cog wasn't bent, it had sort of skewed on the thread, part of the thread on the hub was sort of smeared out and the sprocket thread was cracked right through from one side to the other. LBS had never seen one like it and will send it back to the manufacturer. I'm still not sure what might've happened.

I once had a chain unship, the cog came loose coming downhill (35+) due to the lock ring coming off :-( I had felt the cog slipping a couple of times going uphill, but had actually thought it was the back wheel spining.

Made sure that everything is done up tight ever since.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom