Chain Waxers get in here plz!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Don't think waxing really has a place in the CycleChat lexicon. Someone was asking about this type lubrication in an audax forum elsewhere, for goodness sake. Please @fraz101 - go an ask this in the TT sub-forum where you might find some practical knowledge. I know son-in-law does this. But daughter gets her race chains sent to her ready super-prepared by sponsor so she just has to fit (and remove post-race and send back for 'analysis').
Why use a "mucky rag" to wipe off, anyway. Use a clean rag each time (or I just use a doubled kitchen 'towel' sheet).
Is once a week "constantly"?
Haven't you missed out the 'clean the chain' step in your plan in the OP? How are you going to do that, then?

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

So I’m the only one fed up wiping black oil off their chain and sprockets etc? 🤷‍♂️

Buck

Guru
Im with you @fraz101

started using the wax method and its much better IMO. (Marginal gains and all that!)
Yes, you have to degrease the chain first (even if new) which was a bit of a faff but i found the chain runs a little quieter and more importantly For me, doesnt pick up lots of crud off the road.
I don’t think for us mere mortals we will truly notice much difference but it‘s the method i use at present.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Im with you @fraz101

started using the wax method and its much better IMO. (Marginal gains and all that!)
Yes, you have to degrease the chain first (even if new) which was a bit of a faff but i found the chain runs a little quieter and more importantly For me, doesnt pick up lots of crud off the road.
I don’t think for us mere mortals we will truly notice much difference but it‘s the method i use at present.
Thanks

Do you do anything in between re lubes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Buck

Guru
Thanks

14 replies until I got an answer ( I only asked for chain waxers to comment but the moaners came in regardless)

Do you do anything in between re lubes?

i give the chain a quick wipe with a dry microfibre and every few rides (mileage and weather dependent) i might be a bit more rigorous. Other than that no, just enjoy a cleaner chainset !)

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
one reason I gave up waxing chains - my homebrew method of beeswax, grease and paraffin wax - was the clean-up in between waxes. Alright for summer road biking, but over the moors in winter, light soils and grit seem to stick much easier. Faffed about with having several chains on the go.
Five watts gained and seconds over forty miles? Okay. Marginally less component wear? Okay. Anyhow, I’ve come back round to dripping on Progold, and mickling with a clean cloth. And accepting I’ll have to buy more chains, cassettes and jockey wheels.
Its a broad church in here. Youll have to accept flames when you mention wax!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Don't think waxing really has a place in the CycleChat lexicon. Someone was asking about this type lubrication in an audax forum elsewhere, for goodness sake. Please @fraz101 - go an ask this in the TT sub-forum where you might find some practical knowledge. I know son-in-law does this. But daughter gets her race chains sent to her ready super-prepared by sponsor so she just has to fit (and remove post-race and send back for 'analysis').
Why use a "mucky rag" to wipe off, anyway. Use a clean rag each time (or I just use a doubled kitchen 'towel' sheet).
Is once a week "constantly"?
Haven't you missed out the 'clean the chain' step in your plan in the OP? How are you going to do that, then?

What an unhelpful response, to a perfectly reasonable question.

Top Bottom