Chain Wear - Turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

koro

Hi,

In another thread about a Giant Defy 2, I mentioned that the chain on my bike, well looked after and oiled is looking to be worn. Done the measuring bit and its just about past its 1/16" limit.... Now I have only done about 1000 miles on it, standard chain from when the bike was bought. No probs with that, just thought it would last a lot longer...
Now that got me thinking, of the 1000 miles on it about 700 were done on the turbo over winter, so no road grit or such. Somewhere, well its in my head, I seem to have read somewhere that mileage on a turbo (good workout) is roughly about double that on the road. So would I be right in thinking that the chain wear would be similar. If it is then perhaps my chain has done ok.

Will replace chain with a KMC,that seems to be popular on here...is there any particular model of the KMC that would be preferable?

Cheers

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No, road riding is harder than a turbo on components as you are adding in weather etc.

Maybe not so great quality chain.

I really can't answer the first question other than to say I got a turbo at Christmas, I wonder what it'll do to the chain? Spinning at higher speed for longer, without a cooling air flow must be bad for it. But there's no grit, etc so surely it'd balance out.

With particular models of KMC, I don't think its an issue I've had various to suit my budgets at the time and they've all been good. Don't forget to order the correct width of chain for your bike.

OP
OP
koro

koro

Yep, squared off tyre...lol....I am holding off fitting some pro race 3. Will keep the Kendas for next winter on the turbo

Top Bottom