chain woe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paxterg

Veteran
I have just fitted a new shimano 9 speed chain and cassette on my mtb. I used a 10 speed connector pin (long story!) The connection is a little sticky but seems ok. Just looking advise on safety ie will this hold or is the chain scrap?
PS the connector pin is fitted correctly and I have oiled and jiggled the connection!

It will not hold up. The pin is too short and the little peen that's supposed to hold it in place is not on the outside of the plate but halfway in the middle. One unfortunate shift and you're a pedestrian. Fix it.

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
Damn, much as I suspected. Would it be OK to split this chain again at the offending connector and rejoin using a kmc quick link? Or is it safer just to scrap the chain an replace?

U

User6179

I would use a split link to join it now but I am a tight ars5 ^_^

Damn, much as I suspected. Would it be OK to split this chain again at the offending connector and rejoin using a kmc quick link? Or is it safer just to scrap the chain an replace?
Yes, it is perfectly safe to remove the offending pin and half link and put a master link in. It would be sacrilege to scrap the chain.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom