Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It may rattle if you are going over lumpy ground, potholes, sleeping policeman etc.. but every day road riding then no.

solidthegreat

If it continues to rattle on the flat/smooth road or make noises like it is about to change gears it may be the gears need indexing. Otherwise I would check chain length as it may be too long.

OP
OP
Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Veteran
That's what my friend thought, is it something the can wait for the 6 weeks or should I get it done immediately ?

Although it's a road bike and I don't think I will get much use as it's getting frosty at the moment

OP
OP
Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Veteran
Will have a look on youtube

solidthegreat

Have a go yourself. Basically put it in the small ring at the front and rear. Then shift the rear mech 4 times and you should be in the 5 ring of the rear cassette. If not at on the rear mech there is an adjuster barrel, turn this until the chain jumps onto the. 5th ring. You want to turn it until you can't hear the chain wanting to jump up or down to the 4th or 6th rings. Once done run through all the gears up and down. Best done on a work stand but possible with the bike upside down. And remember to keep pedalling as you change gears. I would still take it for its 6 week service as a) you paid for it b)should sort out little issues such as this. You will find all cables will stretch so brakes may need looking at and headset may need tightening. General service stuff.
Hope it helps.

solidthegreat

You're welcome. Main thing with bikes is don't be afraid to have a go at fixing, repairing stuff yourself, start simple though. Before you know it you will be servicing bearings and fitting headsets. If in doubt though use your LBS.

Top Bottom