Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
How much life would you usually expect of a 10 speed chain?

I have a FSA 10 speed chain on my road bike, and today when I put the chain wear guide in, the 0.75% slots right in, it didn't last time I checked about a month ago. It has done just 2800 miles in 6.5 months. I will have to admit though that I am not the best at cleaning and lubricating it as often as I perhaps should.

The 1% doesn't slot in yet, but do you think the above could explain some odd behaviour recently where the chain doesn't shift on the front right: it jams the derailleur maybe once every couple of weeks, but getting more frequent.

Is it time to replace? And what is best chain to replace with, and is it as simple as counting the links/comparing the length of old and new?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Replace it, but be mindful of the cassette which may be worn too, so be prepared to replace more than just the chain.

KMC works for me.

Yes and yes to your final questions 1 and 3.
I recommend KMC chains as I like the snap link thing that makes them connect.
You can never predict how long a chain will last, but not long if you ride in rain and grit - and you must!
if in doubt, change it.

gbb

Legendary Member
2000 to 3000 miles is normal for me with 10 speed chains. It doesnt matter what make either, 105, Sram, Campag, KMC, they all last about the same for me.
I could stretch more out of them and possibly replace chains too early but the benefit is minimum 3 chains to a cassette.

That's a good price for the 10 93. I paid £25 for my last one from a good local LBS.

I know we need to support our local shops, but £10 over the top strains the loyalty a bit.

I have measured mine in the last few days pin to pin over 12 links, and there is very little (if any) sign of wear after nearly 2,000 miles thats a KMC X10-93, but having a triple I tend to keep a pretty straight chain line

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks. Chain despatched today so it should be here for the weekend and I will give the whole lot a good clean and put new chain on.

I really must take more care of my chain even if that is average life!

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I also neglected to change my chain in time and racked up 4000 miles on it but it is noticeably worn out and sometimes spits the chain off when changing to the large chainwheel on the front (compact double). I've got a new chain and casette to fit, and I'm replacing the front chainwheel too for good measure. An expensive lesson learned. I've bought a chain checker too so I will be keeping an eye on the chain condition regularly from now on!

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks to quick and free delivery from Chain Reaction Cycles, I now have my new chain fitted.

I found it difficult to snap the quick link thingy together, much more difficult than the one I used to refit my old chain when I had to break it!

IMG_20141101_155508196.jpg

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
So how long does a cassette last then? I must have put over 15,000 miles on a Campag Athena cassette and it still works perfectly......hoping you all call me out as a cretin and demand I get that Colnago C59 with Record I've been eyeing up for a while:whistle:

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I found it difficult to snap the quick link thingy together, much more difficult than the one I used to refit my old chain when I had to break it!

View attachment 60548
Yes, it took me a while to close that link up to but I got there in the end!
So, new cassette, chain and large front chainwheel all replaced and good to go. The cassette and chainwheel looked ok but there done now so I know they'll be good for a while :thumbsup:

compo

Veteran
I have some KMC links that tell you to half assemble them then ride the bike a few yards to snap them closed. I wish I had read the instructions before struggling with the link for half an hour.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
I have some KMC links that tell you to half assemble them then ride the bike a few yards to snap them closed. I wish I had read the instructions before struggling with the link for half an hour.

I thought of trying that but when I rotated pedals by hand that link was stiff when not closed and so was just getting caught on the jockey wheels. It took me about 30 minutes in the end and sore hands!

Rode the bike today, much smoother shifting. However, ended up going down a road covered in mud, so my whole bike, incl. nice new chain, got messed up!

Top Bottom