Chainguard for 52t chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clockworksimon

Über Member
i have been fettling a cheap Decathlon folding bike for around town and occasional mixed commuting duties. Came as an under geared 51 inch single speed. Have settled on an old road bike chainset with just the 52t ring in place. Now gives a better 61 inches and I now I need to fit a chainguard to reduce risk of oil on trousers and not to have to wear toe clips all the time.

The crankset is 130 bcd and for 52t the chainguard choice is incredibly limited. A cheap plastic FSA thingy from Chain Reaction which attaches using self tapping screws or some aluminium thing on eBay from USA. There is loads of choice for chainrings of 48t or less including from Spa cycles and SJS cycles. An alternative idea of replacing the freewheel to allow a 48t or less chainring has been considered but I can't remove the 16t freewheel without destroying it and paying to do this. Also too much hassle now.

I have half a mind to take on a little project to make one myself. Looking at thickish plastic from something like a lid or tray. Alternatively could even laminate some thin plywood with some carbon-kevlar epoxy from my kayaking repair kit.

Has anyone else retrofitted a chainguard to a 52t chainset and if so where did your source this from and was the cost reasonable. The mission is cheap, functional and cheerful.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can't find any more than you. Dutch and Germans don't seem to go for 52 with a guard.

If you're hoping to ride without clips, you may prefer a chain case but that's going to be even harder to find in the right size.

OP
OP
clockworksimon

clockworksimon

Über Member
Thanks for looking! Glad I am not missing anything obvious. Perhaps the £4.99 FSA plastic thing is worth a go as is so cheap.

Top Bottom