ChainGuard. Homemade!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've been looking around for a chain ring protector, but they all seem to be for a single ring not a triple. Slightly bored as the Missus and kids were having an afternoon nap, I thought I'd have a bash at one. I used the same corrugated plastic roofing material as I'd used for a rather successful front mudguard extender, and after copying from a cardboard template, and 1/2 hour of melting and shaping over the oven, came up with something reasonable. It's bolted to the pump mount threads, under the cables. With a bit of fine tuning form the hair-dryer, it's not a bad fit. My plan is to try and make one out of aluminium sheeting for a more permanent solution, but this looks as though it might last a while.

cardboardtemp.jpg

polycarb.jpg

chaingd4.jpg

chaingd3.jpg

chaingd1.jpg

chaingd2.jpg

Nice.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I must admit the road crud does seem extra cruddy this year ! My poor Boardman was caked in the stuff,ended up nearly pulling everything off it just to get in it's never regions !
Hybrid next...so much for Christmas break only to get them caked up again ! :sad:

taxing

Sorry, it looks like a dogs dinner.

Someone had to say it.

I bet you hardly even notice it when it's on the bike.

And if it works, then job done. I'm impressed anyway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH OP says it's a prototype - would be easy to make in sheet alloy and a bit of time.

BUT this looks like it will do the trick - would make cleaning more difficult.

If it was my bike, I'd remove the outer (factory fit) chain guard, as these make a quick wipe with a rag very tricky.

Pottsy

No really, is there a functional point to that? It's to keep stuff off your chain? That will help?

You are either Reg Prescott or Charlie Brooker and taking the pi55. :-)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
No really, is there a functional point to that? It's to keep stuff off your chain? That will help?

You are either Reg Prescott or Charlie Brooker and taking the pi55. :-)

In places where cycling is common (i.e. on the other side of the north sea) chain guards are a common feature on bicycle, but then again they are also regraded as everyday transport and not just toys... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom