Chainring advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I swapped my cassette and chain at the weekend and I'm getting a little bit of slippage when pushing really hard. I assume it's because I let the chain get too worn and it's worn the chainring a bit also. It only happens in the middle ring which is the one I use most.

Can I reverse the chainring or do I have to replace it? Running it as it is for any length of time will wear the new chain prematurely?

99.9999999999% of modern chain-rings are directional so may not be reversed.
FACT!!

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Right, next question.
I've had a nosey round the web and can find a silver (sora) or black (tiagra) replacement. My bike is running 8 speed and the sora ring is this while the Tiagra is 9 speed. I'd like to put the black one on as it would match the other two. Can I run this? A 9 speed ring with 8 speed set up? What be the difference between an 8 and 9 speed ring :biggrin:

Will1985

Über Member
Negligible difference. The 9spd ring will be a bit thinner. It is just the same for me buying a Campag chainring for my 9spd - they are all marketed at 10spd and happen to be a hair's breadth smaller*. My fixed has a 3/32 sprocket and 1/8 chain, which works fine and I believe the difference in width is greater than 8-9 or 9-10.

It works your way, but not really the other way....I've never put a 10spd chain on a 9spd and don't want to try!

*you know what I mean!

Chris James

Über Member
Will1985 said:
Negligible difference. The 9spd ring will be a bit thinner. It is just the same for me buying a Campag chainring for my 9spd - they are all marketed at 10spd and happen to be a hair's breadth smaller*. My fixed has a 3/32 sprocket and 1/8 chain, which works fine and I believe the difference in width is greater than 8-9 or 9-10.

It works your way, but not really the other way....I've never put a 10spd chain on a 9spd and don't want to try!

*you know what I mean!

My Dawes Audax came with 9 speed Tiagra chainset and 10 speed chain and derailleurs etc. Works fine. There's a gnat's cock of difference between 9 ans 10 speed.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There is no difference in the thickness of the rings between 9 and 10 speed, or even 8 speed come to that. Any difference is just that on chainsets marketed as 10 speed the rings are a fraction closer together, which makes naff all diference in practice.

Smokin Joe said:
There is no difference in the thickness of the rings between 9 and 10 speed, or even 8 speed come to that. Any difference is just that on chainsets marketed as 10 speed the rings are a fraction closer together, which makes naff all diference in practice.

Thats certainly true now but when 9spd was launched people had terrible trouble with chainsuck using 9spd chains on 8spd rings.

Chris James said:
My Dawes Audax came with 9 speed Tiagra chainset and 10 speed chain and derailleurs etc. Works fine. There's a gnat's cock of difference between 9 ans 10 speed.

Would that be an Imperial Gnats cock or a Metric Gnats cock.

(1 GnatsCock Imperial A/F = GN1.672 metric according to my workshop charts)

Top Bottom