chainring conundrum!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smuggs

Going into retirement disgracefully!
I have a Giant Defy advanced 2 running shimano 105 gearing 10 speed. Chainrings are RS 500 50/34, 5 hole with a 110 mm BCD.
they have lasted pretty well but are now worn and due for replacement. Only problem is that Shimano no longer make the RS500 rings.
I’ve looked online and the Shimano 105 FC-5750 looks just the same. Described as being 10 speed,50/34, 5 hole and same 110 BCD.
Question is, can this model replace my RS500 rings?
Thanks for any advice.

busdennis

Veteran
I've mixed and matched all brands of rings without problem, as long as its 5 hole and 110 bcd your good

I've mixed and matched all brands of rings without problem, as long as its 5 hole and 110 bcd your good
some folk reckon the shifting ramps and pins on specific rings/ring-sets are important but I have no idea how vital this is - over to the more technical folk.

OP
OP
Smuggs

Smuggs

Thanks very much guys for the helpful replies and I get the message about as long as the 5 hole 110 bcd is the same, I’m good to go. Thanks as well to iluvmybike for the Sjs cycles link👍

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

OP
OP
Smuggs

Smuggs

Thanks for the links Cyberknight!
I have sourced two large chainrings which look to be compatible and are roughly the same price. They are Shimano 105 FC-5750 and FSA super road N10.
would anyone recommend either, both or none!
Thanks

si_c

Guru
Thanks for the links Cyberknight!
I have sourced two large chainrings which look to be compatible and are roughly the same price. They are Shimano 105 FC-5750 and FSA super road N10.
would anyone recommend either, both or none!
Thanks
I'd go Shimano, my experience with FSA rings has been they don't last particularly long.

Top Bottom