Chainring removal for Urban Arrow with Bosch Gen 1 (Classic Line)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

igorval

I'm changing the chain, chainring (front) and sprocket (rear) of an Urban Arrow Family cargo bike with a Bosch Gen 1 (Classic Line), build between 2012 and 2014.
I'm stuck removing the (front) chainring. I already removed the lockring. But now, the spider, where the chainring is attached to, is also screwed on the screw thread.
Is there some special tool to lock, so I can remove the spider with the chainring?
Or do I need to remove the spindle?

tandwiel.jpeg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This is for a gen 4 but it seems you need a special removal tool similar to this. I should refer to the manufacturer.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/HCs8giNIkfM?si=CAdxPqNWaNoYwD85

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

igorval

The lockring remover tool is indeed necessary. I found one specifically designed for the Gen 1 Bosch Classic Line.
So, I was already able to remove the lockring, but I had trouble removing the spider/chainring. It seems to be stuck...

I came across a YouTube video that showed a similar situation and how to remove the chainring:

In the video, it is clear that the chainring isn't threaded on.

However, I still couldn't manage to "just remove" the chainring as shown in the video. What I finally did was use a screwdriver and a hammer to gently tap on the chainring in a clockwise direction. And suddenly, the chainring became free.

It's possible that, given it hadn't been replaced in 10 years, the chainring got a bit stuck due to dirt and such.

Top Bottom