Chainring Replacement Instead of Crankset/Chainset Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I was looking to replace a Triple 9 speed crankset/chainset as the centre 39 tooth ring is very worn. Its a Shimano Sora unit.

A complete replacement is going to fetch at least £70.00 so I have decided just to swap out the middle ring - for just a tenner.

I've done this before and it is pretty easy so long as you can identify the right part with correct BCP, Model number, number of arms etc.

Hopefully my winter bike will be back in action by the weekend

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I was looking to replace a Triple 9 speed crankset/chainset as the centre 39 tooth ring is very worn. Its a Shimano Sora unit.

A complete replacement is going to fetch at least £70.00 so I have decided just to swap out the middle ring - for just a tenner.

I've done this before and it is pretty easy so long as you can identify the right part with correct BCP, Model number, number of arms etc.

Hopefully my winter bike will be back in action by the weekend

It's the cheapest option if the other rings are ok.
You may find that you need a new chain as that may of worn and might slip on the new ring.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The middle ring tends to get the greatest wear.
https://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bcd.html
Spa Cycles ftw (£6) for a 38t/110mm BCD: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s210p4819/SPA-CYCLES-Alloy-Chainrings-38T-28T
I'm guessing 5-bolt and 130mm BCD (but could be 110mm (!£15)).
Edit (agreeing with @gbb): You don't need to replace the chain or the cassette when you change a ring. Cassette sprockets last maybe 3 chains so 7000km: chainrings last 25,000+km. A worn chain will cause faster wear on a chain ring tooth than a chain within the +0.75% elongation 'limit', but much less than the wear on each sprocket tooth: cod-maths analysis available.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

gbb

Legendary Member
Will do, and chain!

From experience, I'd buy and fit a chain ring and use it and see, At worst, measure the chain wear make a decision on that. If its nearly worn out, replace, if its OK, I'd probably run it if it were mine. Cassette, I wouldn't generally replace until it gave problems.
6 and 2 threes, I used to work with a guy who replaced all three every year. He was a year round commuter and the extra cost gave him some certainty and problem free running for the next year, plus it was still cheaper that his bus fares.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
For replacement chain ring bolts, SPA have stainless steel ones at a good price. You want both the sleeve and head. Go for the longer options for the double / triple chain rings, the inner chain ring uses the shorter bolt.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thats the fella. Unfortunately I have broken a rule and replaced a black one with a silver one! Shock Horror
No worries: I just got my LBS to do the same as you, but they could not find a new chainring in stock to order, so they used (with my permission, of course) a black chainring from a donated bike.
The whole drivetrain is already black from the couple of weeks commute since it was fitted :whistle:

Top Bottom