Chainring replacement - when?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I know it's recommended to change chains and cassettes regularly but what about chainrings? I've covered around 9000 to 10000 miles in the past 2 1/2 years on my Boardman Road bike and am currently on the 3rd chain & cassette (latest change was earlier this year) but am still running the original chainrings and it's starting to feel quite rough.

The teeth look quite sharp and pointy compared to the flatter tops on the rings on my other bikes (much lower mileages and less hard ridden) so I guess they have worn but should they be replaced a.s.a.p. or can it wait for a while and then replace them at the same time as the chain & cassette at the end of next winter?

Also is it better to change the whole chainset including BB (which seems to be running smoothly) or could I get away with just changing the rings themselves?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
There must be a load of advice on YouTube for this. My understanding is that if the chainring teeth look like sharks teeth, ( each tooth not symmetrical), then it's probably time to change the ring. Sheldon Brown will advise.

lpretro1

If they are pointy then change them asap - if you don't you will cause premature wear to the chain. Also under pressure the chain may start to slip which isn't funny (think of teeth in handlebar scenario!!) esp when you are climbing or powering away from traffic lights etc. If you then leave them further then they start to hook over and catch the chain which is also nasty when trying to change gear!!! If BB is smooth and has no play then no need to change at same time.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
in April

this sounds completely daft, but it's winters that mash up chain rings. If it's not jumping then I'd be tempted to change everything now, but put the old stuff back on in December

OP
OP
Jenkins

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Thanks for confirming my suspicions - I've booked it in to have the rings replaced in a couple of weeks time (after payday!). It's not jumping yet but definitely feels rough.

in April

this sounds completely daft, but it's winters that mash up chain rings. If it's not jumping then I'd be tempted to change everything now, but put the old stuff back on in December

I don't think it's daft at all. I use the same reasoning for chain & cassette replacement.

Top Bottom