Chainring switching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gummo

Hello comrades!

On switching between chainrings, I can go to 2 and 3 in the normal way.

However, if I'm on 3 and I want to go to 2 - I must go straight to 1 and up to 2 again.

Help!

Deore.jpg

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Sounds like not enough spring force to return the mechanism. Have you tried lubricating both ends of the cable and the shifter?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hello comrades!

On switching between chainrings, I can go to 2 and 3 in the normal way.

However, if I'm on 3 and I want to go to 2 - I must go straight to 1 and up to 2 again.

Help!

View attachment 398656
Cable tension is out slightly, the only thing that indexes the middle ring is the cable tension. When 2 is selected the arms of the front derailleur should be central on the middle ring

PpPete

Legendary Member
I wouldn't recommend lubricating the end of the cable the OP has clamped at the FD. Why would you (anyway)?
Lubricating the cable at the FD - no
But getting some lube in to the outer casing to reduce friction between inner & outer might do it.

Failing that, a quarter turn clockwise of the relevant adjuster. But no more that one quarter - and if it doesnt work reverse it, and deeper investigation by competent mechanic required.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I said: "I wouldn't recommend lubricating the end of the cable the OP has clamped at the FD."
Why not?
I use Silicone grease on all my cables.
Not only does it help reduce friction
I too use grease on the stretches of the cables that pass through outers (though I know some say 'no need with modern outer liners') and under the BB.
But I rather appreciate some friction where the cable is clamped at its attachment to the FD. That's "why not". Think about it.

OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

Lubricating the cable at the FD - no
..... a quarter turn clockwise of the relevant adjuster. But no more that one quarter .......
That worked!

Top Bottom