chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrewsdad

Hi guys, having picked your very knowledgeable brains earlier, having changed my rear cassette 12/25, ive noticed my front 50t chainring warped, will any 50t ring do or do I need to take the origional to my lbs. Many thanks guys.

adamhearn

Veteran
For chainrings you need to match up the number of bolt holes and the distance between them. It's most likely a 5 hole 110 BCD config... If you're buying from a LBS then best plan is indeed to take the old ring with you.

Here's a PDF with a section that describes the sizing

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

For chainrings you need to match up the number of bolt holes and the distance between them. It's most likely a 5 hole 110 BCD config... If you're buying from a LBS then best plan is indeed to take the old ring with you.

Evans seem to have reasonably priced rings. Thankyou for the reply.

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

Is it the boltholes that are the only difference.

adamhearn

Veteran
A 50T ring is pretty much like any other. Of course, some people want specific brands, some want OEM, some want an upgrade.

Weight, material, cost and colour/asthetics are all choices to make. Spa Cycles do cheap/well thought of rings [from what's been said on forums]. An example being this one.

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

A 50T ring is pretty much like any other. Of course, some people want specific brands, some want OEM, some want an upgrade.

Weight, material, cost and colour/asthetics are all choices to make. Spa Cycles do cheap/well thought of rings [from what's been said on forums]. An example being this one.
Great thanks much appreciated.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd take the old one to my LBS, much easier to get the right one if you can match em up plus I don't mind paying a bit more to have it in my hands rather than have to wait for a delivery that has been kicked around a dusty warehouse and stood on ......Twice carefully delivered to my door by a smiling man who never touched it without gloves on. :whistle:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Another vote for Spa Cycles here.
And another :smile:
I changed both my inner rings to 36s with a 50 outer ring and it makes the drop to the smaller ring less of a "spin like a nutter ".

robjh

Legendary Member
Similar to the OP, I have changed chain and cassette and this has shown up how eroded my middle chainring is, and the large one is not in the best of shape either.
It's a Shimano Sora 50-39-30 triple, and I can replace the 50T and 39T rings for about £50, or get a new 105 crankset for about £100. (I generally run 105 components on the bike, the Sora cranks are a bit of a historical accident).

What are the merits of replacing the whole crankset rather than just 2 chainrings? Do cranks ever (realistically) wear out?

Citius

I'd be interested in knowing how or why the chainring became 'warped' - it's not something I've ever come across before.

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

I'd take the old one to my LBS, much easier to get the right one if you can match em up plus I don't mind paying a bit more to have it in my hands rather than have to wait for a delivery that has been kicked around a dusty warehouse and stood on ......Twice carefully delivered to my door by a smiling man who never touched it without gloves on. :whistle:
Lol good point thanks.

Top Bottom