Chainrings and things.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey porridge, it's the circular disc attached to your pedal cranks which drives the chain, bikes can have one, two or three chain rings. When describing them we refer to number of teeth, so if you read 52, 42, 32 somewhere it refers to a 'triple chainset' and the number of teeth on each ring.

porridge

mickle said:
Hey porridge, it's the circular disc attached to your pedal cranks which drives the chain, bikes can have one, two or three chain rings. When describing them we refer to number of teeth, so if you read 52, 42, 32 somewhere it refers to a 'triple chainset' and the number of teeth on each ring.

Thanks, i'l have a look, so much to learn !, this time one month ago I thought you just had to get on a bike and pedal, until Saturday I thought a bike was a bike, was a bike, then new bike and wow what a difference!.

porridge

Ok, follow on question, what function do chainrings perform?, is better to have more?, I always thought those plastic bits were there to protect the chain in some way.

This is just about road bike gearing. For now.

Double clangers have traditionally been 52/42, sometimes 53/39. Fine if you ride in the peleton at 45kmh but rather highly geared for lone mortals.

The introduction of triple chainsets was a (successful) attempt to provide a wider range of gears on road bikes, however, purist anoraky fukcers like me can't look at them without wincing; THEY JUST DON'T LOOK RIGHT! The rear mech is too long etc etc. I have no objection to them on principle, each to their own, bums on seats and all that. I just don't like triples, I don't even use one on my Mountain bike, sacrificing a bit of top end and preferring the slick shifts of a double 30/40 set-up.

Compact 50/36 is an attempt to provide a more useable set of ratios for non super heroes but which still retains the benefits of a double ring set-up, light weight, short cage etc.

Top Bottom