Chainrings/crankset compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
This must be a record for updating/feedbacking on your own question :smile:

But well done - it's the polite/nice thing to do after you've asked for advice - and may of course help others.
I'd pretty much forgotten about this thread, thought I'd dig it up to see how much of a novice I was back then ^_^
Test ride done and all seems well, I do like the H2 bb's, they are so easy to fit/replace, got BB30 on my other bike which I know nothing about, hopefully it'll be a while before I need to find out.

RhythMick

Über Member
As you can see from this the new chainset requires a Hollowtech 2 bb, so the old octalink will have to go.

I am not sure about this particular one but some Shimano chainsets come with matching bb (and washers to allow fit to 68mm and 73mm bb shells), you might want to give CRC a call? As you can see otherwise the bb needed is an SM-FC4500.

The only curious thing is are you sure the existing chainset is a R453 and the bb is 118mm? I am asking only because the R453 spec sheet specifies a 121mm bb. Because of this unless there is clarification it is tricky to suggest another octalink chainset as an alternative replacement.

Otherwise I don't see why the sora shouldn't work perfectly. It seems your existing chainline should also be 45mm, you are running a triple x 9 speed already, and that the new and old chainsets have the same large ring and tooth difference, all meaning no shifter, front mech, rear mech or chain implications, so it should be a simple replacement (except perhaps depending on how worn the old chainset/chain are you might want to replace the chain at the same time).

Hope it helps.

I would check out woolyhatshop who often do bundle deals.

Top Bottom