Chainrings dead or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BikeLiker

Just fitted new Shimano chain and cassette and the chain has started jumping on both chain rings when under pressure - no problems with old components which I have just removed. My first thought was I need new chain rings but, as I ride about 80% of the time on the big ring, it seems strange that both should wear at the same time. Could anything else be causing this?
I've also fitted new wheels if that is relevant.
The big ring looks like this:
IMAG0109_zps7d27dafe.jpg

Edit: it is an Ultegra 6750 50/34 chainset with 6701 chain (fitted right way round) and cassette

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Defo yes for the big ring, can't see enough of small one, but probably wouldn't hurt..

OP
OP
BikeLiker

BikeLiker

OK, thanks for unanimous replies. Is 12k miles, riding all year, about right for chainring lifespan? I'm going to have to buy a new crankset as I can't find the 50t ring in stock anywhere:sad: Not much dearer anyway and there are marks on the spider.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
OK, thanks for unanimous replies. Is 12k miles, riding all year, about right for chainring lifespan? I'm going to have to buy a new crankset as I can't find the 50t ring in stock anywhere:sad: Not much dearer anyway and there are marks on the spider.

It depends on a lot of things, I tend to change my chain before it gets too worn and as a result my drivetrain lasts for ages.....

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Just fitted new Shimano chain and cassette and the chain has started jumping on both chain rings when under pressure - no problems with old components which I have just removed. My first thought was I need new chain rings but, as I ride about 80% of the time on the big ring, it seems strange that both should wear at the same time. Could anything else be causing this?
I've also fitted new wheels if that is relevant.
The big ring looks like this:
IMAG0109_zps7d27dafe.jpg

Edit: it is an Ultegra 6750 50/34 chainset with 6701 chain (fitted right way round) and cassette

A TA ring might fit, and in 7075 alloy it will quite possibly be more hard wearing than the original Shimano issue. :thumbsup:

http://www.specialites-ta.com/gb/plateau-ultra.html

Compatible with Shimano® Ultegra® 6700 cranksets
A design that keeps up the original aesthetics

OP
OP
BikeLiker

BikeLiker

A TA ring might fit, and in 7075 alloy it will quite possibly be more hard wearing than the original Shimano issue. :thumbsup:

http://www.specialites-ta.com/gb/plateau-ultra.html
Cheers, mine is a 6750 crankset. Not sure what this means really but it uses type F rings which are different from the 6700 stuff. I did eventually find the Shimano rings online but decided to go for a whole new crank at only £25 more. Gets rid of these marks caused by a roof carrier the day I bought the bike:sad:
IMAG0004_zpsc3c78d84.jpg

02GF74

Über Member
teeth at approx 11 o'clock position are well pointy so worn ring.

if you use worn chain, it will quickly wear the ring out so eventhough you do not use the smaller one as often, the worn chain would kill it.

do you not have a chain wear gauge - a fiver well spent IMO.

OP
OP
BikeLiker

BikeLiker

if you use worn chain, it will quickly wear the ring out so even though you do not use the smaller one as often, the worn chain would kill it.

do you not have a chain wear gauge - a fiver well spent IMO.

Thanks for the explanation. Ordered a gauge this afternoon - better late than never.

Top Bottom