Chainrings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i'm not entirely happy with the 52/42/30 set-up of my triple. can i just buy 50 and 39 chainrings and put them in

so its a 50/39/30

thanks

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes, just get the right BCD. You might have to lower the front mech a bit, stick a penny in between the mech and the tallest teeth (not all of the teeth are the same, so choose the tallest ones) on the chainring and drop the mech until the gap is as big as the penny.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
if i just changed the middle ring ( Front Triple) from a 42 to a 39 - would that causing gear change issues from the 39 to 52 front chainrings??

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Can I buy the 52t off you please? I've been looking for one for my single speed.

Make sure the BCD is right....

simon.r

Person
I'm going to replace the crank; I don't think the one I have is anything special and as I intend to run this bike for many years I figure I might as well replace the lot to make future running repairs easier.

Have you seen how cheap some of the chainsets are on CRC at the moment? Starting at <£17 for cranks and rings. Even after adding a BB some of the stuff is ridiculously cheap. If you bought wisely you could probably sell the ring/s you don't want for more than the cost of the entire chainset! I think the offer ends today.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Offers.aspx?CategoryIDs=537&Offer=2&SortBy=Price

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Have you seen how cheap some of the chainsets are on CRC at the moment? Starting at <£17 for cranks and rings. Even after adding a BB some of the stuff is ridiculously cheap. If you bought wisely you could probably sell the ring/s you don't want for more than the cost of the entire chainset! I think the offer ends today.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Offers.aspx?CategoryIDs=537&Offer=2&SortBy=Price

Thank you, THIS for £17 seems almost too good to be true, well worth taking a chance one. Although am I right in thinking I'd also have to change the BB? I think I'm shimano type at the moment.

4F

Thank you, THIS for £17 seems almost too good to be true, well worth taking a chance one. Although am I right in thinking I'd also have to change the BB? I think I'm shimano type at the moment.

You think correct:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21496 If you take the current BB out then you can check if it is a 68 (English) or 73 (Italian). If a 68 then the 68 x 108 out of that lot would help best with the chainline however you might have to tweak the washer set up on the rear wheel for a better chainline.

4F

Sorry to thread hi-jack, but THIS looks better and would need less 'amendment'.​
I'm off to measure my bottom bracket now.​

I trust you noted that was 48 tooth ? Personally I would go with that and then just change the gearing on the rear to suit. Round here I run 48 x 16 in the nicer more wind friendly months and I find that to be ideal. Well it was good enough fixed to get the Strava KOM on Gipping Sprint :thumbsup:

Top Bottom