Chainrings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I trust you noted that was 48 tooth ? Personally I would go with that and then just change the gearing on the rear to suit. Round here I run 48 x 16 in the nicer more wind friendly months and I find that to be ideal. Well it was good enough fixed to get the Strava KOM on Gipping Sprint :thumbsup:

Yeah, I would be happy with 48t as I have a collection of rear sprockets to choose from. However I've upped the budget a bit (pending management approval) for THIS 52t chainset, and I've measured my current BB and I think it's compatible: A little bit of reassurance would be appreciated though :smile:

And I've seen you whipping up hills on the fixie!

bb-measurement.jpg

The measurement shows the width of the square part of the pedal fixing whatnot. I checked it with a 14mm spanner and that does seem about correct.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
The bit you need to measure though is between the shell on the bottom bracket rather than "the square part" ....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
if i just changed the middle ring ( Front Triple) from a 42 to a 39 - would that causing gear change issues from the 39 to 52 front chainrings??
I changed my setup from 52/42/30 to 52/39/30 with no problems. The step up from middle to big rings was more noticeable, but the step down to the 30 was a lot better. I found the 39 gave a nicer range of middle gears than the 42. I stay on the middle ring a bit longer before dropping down to the granny ring. I haven't found myself using the big ring more; I just tend to pedal faster in the 39 unless I want to do 20+ mph.

I've now replaced the 30 with a 26 so I have a good wide range of gears without needing a mega-wide cassette. (I use a 9-speed 14-28). The step between granny and middle is a bit big now, but it's lovely having a super-low grovelling gear for those horrible headwind-on-20%-climbs-after-50-miles situations! :thumbsup:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Ah, I thought it was as simple as if it was splined it would be one of many types, but if the ends are square then you're golden.

I shall continue the research.

You misunderstood. My comment about measuring between the shell was in relation to getting the right size BB. With regards to square taper then there are 2 different types of square.....

Top Bottom