Chainrub.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1954ianj

Über Member
Hi, anyone had any trouble with chain rub on the inside of the big ring when in the smaller gears on the back. I have an FSA chainset (10 speed) and bottom bracket the chain rubs on the big chainring when in the 3 smaller gears on the back . Any solutions please? Thanks Ian.

Sharky

Guru
Is this a new rubbing and has anything changed on the bike?

Small/small ratios could be prone to rubbing but if it's happening on all the three smallest cogs, suspect something else is going on.

Chain ring bolts all tight?

OP
OP

1954ianj

Über Member
Yes the chainring bolts are tight. I have just rebuilt the bike with good used parts all Shimano105 excluding the b/b and chainset which are FSA Gossamer. I have tried a different wheel and even transferred the parts onto another similar frame but the problem still persists. Thanks Ian.

si_c

Guru
You don't really explain where the chain is rubbing, and which gear you are in at the front, so I coudn't really answer your question. Are you in the big ring and it's rubbing on the derailleur? Are you in the small ring and it's rubbing on the big ring? If the latter, then something is seriously wrong with your setup, if the former, the derailleur needs adjusting.

If you can give us a bit more detail we should be able to help better.

rrarider

Veteran
To minimise the angle of the chain's skew when cross-chaining (big chain ring to rear sprocket with most teeth and small chain ring to rear sprocket with least teeth) the position of the chain ring may need to be moved.

Imagine a plane parallel to the direction of travel and perpendicular to the ground; this plane needs to pass through the centre point of the chain rings and the middle rear sprocket on the freewheel or cassette. The only way that you can achieve this is by changing the length of the bottom bracket spindle.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
If you're doing either of these, it's bad.

crosschain.jpg

Top Bottom