Chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
How are you deciding when to replace the chain?

I've got a recumbent where chain is at well over 8000 miles old & still under 0.5% stretch. Using wet lube in dry & dusty conditions I've written off a chain on my MTB in less than 500 miles.

Zakalwe

Too many variables - cleaning, lubing, riding conditions, brand, construction, riding style, favourite gear, cassette used etc.

They generally last as long as they last, and then you change them with the cassette - unless you go in for some fancy 3 chain rotation schedule.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I killed my stock chain on the felt in 1500 miles, the new one (dura-ace) has hardly stretched at all in another 1500 miles even though my power is MUCH higher. Im a fastidious maintainer though, lubing and cleaning at least weekly.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
ive done around 1000 miles of varied riding on my hybrid, its been looked after mostly but im 15 stone, was 17 stone and ive been down trails etc on it. Its just i was advised to change it at a service and wondered if there was a suitable life span

MattHB

Proud Daddy
ive done around 1000 miles of varied riding on my hybrid, its been looked after mostly but im 15 stone, was 17 stone and ive been down trails etc on it. Its just i was advised to change it at a service and wondered if there was a suitable life span

the only way to tell is to measure the stretch (see sheldon browns website for details). If you leave it too long youll be in for cassette and chainrings as well.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
i didnt have a close look before it went in but when i saw the new one it looked waaaay closer, so im guessing it was right. they suggested new cassette so got one of those as well

i went for a road one instead of mountain bike one as it was half the price, not sure it was right decision, i liekd the large range of gears

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Too many variables - cleaning, lubing, riding conditions, brand, construction, riding style, favourite gear, cassette used etc.

They generally last as long as they last, and then you change them with the cassette - unless you go in for some fancy 3 chain rotation schedule.

This ^^^
There is no answer as to how long they last.

Zakalwe

You'll get advised to buy a new chain, usually cassette too, at every service you'll ever have no matter what you do - I think it's the first thing they teach at mechanic academy because there's no right or wrong approach to chsin replacement. Early and often makes sense to keep cassette in good nick, but the two things wear together at the same rate so a worn chsin and worn cassette won't give you too much trouble until they're totally shot and gear changes are clunky, if your cassettes are cheap it's no big deal either way.

It's an easy maintenance job with easily quantifiable results so its justifiable to pay on top of the service costs - I always think new cables and housings are much better consumables to replace regularly but no mechanic ever recommends it at a service because its a bit of a pain to do and the parts are cheap.

Top Bottom