Chains...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
How do you know if your chain is too loose?

Mine seems quite slack but it's the way I've always ridden it (and without many issues).
Is there a guide somewhere?

what bike?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
What bike is it on? I think you said you had a mountain bike on an earlier post? If it's that bike, what gear are you using? (the chain may be quite slack if ridden in small front to small rear gear combinations, which is usually not recommended).

A picture might help if you can post one one.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Koga

A chain wear gauge??

I agree, get a chain wear gauge (around £5 at Chainreaction for instance : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cyclo-chain-wear-indicator/rp-prod42815) check the chain and if needed replace it.

It is unlikely that the old chain had the wrong amount of links on it, although it could be yours has to many and therefore is to long.

The new chain will probably need to be shortened, so you have the same amount of chain links as the old one (the old one will be longer as the chain has stretched over time).

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Agree with the above 2 posters, what is making you think the chain is too loose / slack ?

IIRC you are running a geared mtb @ScotiaLass if so your rear derailleur will take up slack and if its shifting right you've got nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom