Anyone cleans chains with 3-in-1 oil?

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121159

I know some people go to great lengths to keep the chain clean, but I've never got into this habit. The efficiency gains seem marginal, and even with my minimal cleaning, the Shimano SLX cassette is looking pretty new after 2000 miles. Also with the SRAM 11 spd chain available year round for £10 or less, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend much time cleaning it. Anyway my laziness has reached new heights and now I'm thinking I'll clean it just with 3-in-1 oil. Basically apply it liberally all over the chain, wait for it to expel dirt inside then wipe thoroughly. If it's dry out, no need to lubricate afterwards, and if wet apply thicker lube. Anyone else doing this?

Jameshow

Veteran
I'd clean with wd40 and a rag first then apply 3/1 or engine oil!

I found 5 litres of engine oil left over from a leaky van I owned so I might use that once the Wilko lube supply drys up!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Agree with the principle: clean the chain with the oil you intend to oil the chain with. Then, once your cleaning rag is no longer getting filth off (not as much as before anyway) you have a clean and oiled chain. Totally avoids the problem of getting detergent or solvent type stuff off the chain so it doesn't spoils the lovely oil you're about to put on. Economically this works best with cheap oil - in my case the 100 years supply of chain oil in the form of a gallon of engine oil the wrong grade for my car. OK it's not perhaps the best oil, but it's adequate for a unchallenging application like a bike chain, and cheap enough to use liberally.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

Agree with the principle: clean the chain with the oil you intend to oil the chain with. Then, once your cleaning rag is no longer getting filth off (not as much as before anyway) you have a clean and oiled chain. Totally avoids the problem of getting detergent or solvent type stuff off the chain so it doesn't spoils the lovely oil you're about to put on. Economically this works best with cheap oil - in my case the 100 years supply of chain oil in the form of a gallon of engine oil the wrong grade for my car. OK it's not perhaps the best oil, but it's adequate for a unchallenging application like a bike chain, and cheap enough to use liberally.

It's crazy to think that the standard method that big brands and media outlets promote in unison is the degrease and re-lube method. On reflection that's probably a bad idea for most. It's a lot of faff and bad for the environment also. Plus it's probably bad for the chain if the degreaser isn't driven out completely.

But then there are so many other ideas/trends they promote that I disagree with...

I'm just using gt85 for my chains.
Wash the bike and spray the chain with it and give it a wipe.

It's very light so needs applying after every wash so you keep the chain clean. No black grinding paste.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

I also feel this is the level of hassle that many if not all utility/commuter cyclists would be able to deal with. My colleagues who cycle to work never clean or lube the chain, then visit the bike shop when something stops working. Not a chance they'll follow the degrease and relube regimen. But if it's just oil and wipe, then it becomes a possibility that some of them might do that, at least every now and then

I also feel this is the level of hassle that many if not all utility/commuter cyclists would be able to deal with. My colleagues who cycle to work never clean or lube the chain, then visit the bike shop when something stops working. Not a chance they'll follow the degrease and relube regimen. But if it's just oil and wipe, then it becomes a possibility that some of them might do that, at least every now and then

It would depend on the usage. If it is a cheaper commuter bike it's getting different treatment to a more expensive bike that does a big ride once or twice a week.

Top Bottom