Chainsaw experts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Things seemed to get a bit hot. Whitish smoke from the cover which hides the toothed pulley that runs the chain. Engine runs OK but chain no longer goes round. What's this? A booooogered clutch or..........? Can it be repaired (economically)? Jonsered CS2137

I don't have much luck with chainsaws generally :sad:. Thankfully I'm still all fingers and thumbs :thumbsup:

TIA

Enough oil?

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Enough oil?

Very topped up. :thumbsup:

Its a centrifugal clutch, easy repair ifit is that.

Check for chain tension and a jam..
Garden machinery repair shop plant hire ect should be relatively cheap fix

Just looked at a Youtube video for a clutch replace - looks OK:thumbsup:

Chain tension fine and not jammed.:thumbsup:

Cheap sounds good to me ^_^

[QUOTE 5562276, member: 9609"]is the chain brake on ?[/QUOTE]

Err - that has caught me out before, but not this time :thumbsup:

Have you tightened the chain too much? Added chain oil? Wrong fuel mix? Bar end bearings ceased? Chain on the wrong way round? Disengaged the brake before you run it?

Whatever the case is I would stop using it till it is fixed.

All OK except you now worry me about seized bearings :sad: And yes it's sitting looking sad on the work bench unused and unloved :sad:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Do you know how to take the casing, bar and chain off? If you do, I would start going on a process of elimination. Depending on the bar, you can service it, if the bearings are ceased. Or if it is a new fangled one like I have, you have to buy another bar because it is sealed. £30-£40.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Do you know how to take the casing, bar and chain off? If you do, I would start going on a process of elimination. Depending on the bar, you can service it, if the bearings are ceased. Or if it is a new fangled one like I have, you have to buy another bar because it is sealed. £30-£40.
Oh I see - you mean the bearings at the end of the chain bar:idea:. Thought you were referring to some in the engine :wacko:. There is some bar end wear due to a numpty (who could that be :whistle:) using it incorrectly. But it has run fine since till now.

Right - I did take it all apart and looked at how the engine runs with no load. Seems the engine runs fine and turns the drive spindle OK. No wobble there either. Although when I restrained the chain drive part the clutch hadn't engaged. Put it all back and tried again. Still won't turn the chain. So maybe the bearings are the thing or it could be the clutch (can't see whether it's engaging while it's running and I'm not about to stick a screwdriver in the way either).

Right - back to check those bearings @Heltor :thumbsup:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
When you put the bar, chain and casing back on, how tight are you setting the tensioning screw?

It should NOT be wanged up tight. Pluck the chain away from the bar at about the mid point. The guide teeth on the chain should ‘just’ be in the gutter of the bar. With the brake off, you should be able to move the chain around easily, but not too easily. If you have to put effort in, the tensioning screw is too tight.

If this is the case, what you have is a chain that is too short and when it ‘turns the corner’ round the bar end there is way too much tension. This wears the bar out too quickly and puts undesirable strain on the drive mechanism.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
That's it I think @Heltor Chasca The little toothed "turning round the end of the bar" wheel has seized. No sign of ball bearings tho'. So new bar for sure and I may as well have a new chain.

Your advice on chain tension is helpful. I've never tightened it up too much (I think) but am wary of it being too loose as it will fly off. Don't like it flying off with me right next to it.

Possible issue longer term is the way the chain oil gets onto the chain. While I ran it in the above test the oil flowed nicely but it's never been clear to me that much gets onto the chain. Always been like that from new. Design flaw maybe?

Thanks for your assistance and all those above too. Off to order the new parts.
This definitely. If you aren’t 100% sure, it’s your safety at risk.

Think I'm OK with this job and I do have a fairly well developed sense of self preservation. This time it's just a replace what I've taken on and off for ages.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sod all that faffing around trying to find the problem. Just take it in to be serviced and tell them what the problem is. Let them sort it. ^_^

It's an easy fix with the help of the excellent good folks in here :okay:. Total bill for parts £36 (including delivery and VAT) - just ordered. Total bill at the Garden Suppliers ~£80 including parts and labour and VAT? That's a lot of inner tubes I can now afford ^_^. Also I'd have to climb in a car to go to the fixer's and do that again to pick it up (as the machine is a bit tricky to balance on my bike). To some extent it's the car bit I dislike the most.

Anyway WD - you may, if you wish, fit the new parts for me :thumbsup:

Top Bottom