Chainset / chain rings questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jann71

Veteran
I know hee-haw about gears so I have a few questions.

My previous road bike was 9 speed shimano tiagra with a triple - 30,39,50 and a 12-28 cassette.
New bike is a planet x superlight pro carbon 10 speed with a double (not compact) and 11-27 campag.

I've only been out along the cycle track so far for a test run so nice and flat and was flying along on the big ring ^_^.

I'm not bothered about the teeth on big ring but I'm not sure if losing my granny ring will be an issue, just want to know what options are if its too much of a struggle getting up hills.

Can you just change the rings to customise ie have a 34 as small ring?
Or would I need to buy a compact chainset?
Would I notice much difference changing from 39 to 34 as both are going to be different to 30?
Theres seems to be lots of rings on ebay in sizes from 34 up to 56!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If it's not a compact you can't go lower than 38T - the bolts get in the way.
Compacts have the bolts nearer to the centre. With Campag, your only option for lower gears is changing the chainset to a compact or a triple - with Shimano you could have gone for a MTB cassette and rear mech. Not that that would be a huge amount cheaper...
If you've got a standard double in Scotland you're braver stronger than I.

OP
OP
jann71

jann71

Veteran
CAMPCHAR890_1_zoom.jpg
So I would need something like this in a compact.

May live with what I've got for now as I've just put on new handlebars, cables, bar tape, saddle.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Campag do a 13-29 cassette if you need just a little extra help on the hills. Sure you lose a bit at the top end, but I find 53-13 quite adequate.

If it's not a compact you can't go lower than 38T - the bolts get in the way.
I think 39T is the smallest on Campag (135 BCD rather than Shimano's 130)
Another option, if chainstay clearance allows, would be an adaptor ring to enable you to use a triple inner when need arises. IIRC the regular Campag shifters & mechs will cope with either a 13-29 cassette or a triple with up to 26T, but not both. Fortunately they do a special long cage triple mech that does both - for wusses like me.

Top Bottom