Chainset cleaning / replacing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

007fair

I wanted to clean the chain rings and so removed them as they are very hard to clean otherwise

I didn't want to tamper with the BB so I just took off the large and middle chain rings (Triple from a Giant SCR2), cleaned all three (the smallest was easily accessible while still attached) and put then back on.

I was careful to finger tighten the screws first then gradually tighten each one by the same amount

Question - I have read somewhere that it is important not to over tighten these screws.
Park Tools recommends 44-88 inch pounds of torque for aluminum bolts, and 70-95 inch pounds for steel bolts.

I did not use a torque tool I didn't over force them but they are tight .. Should I be worried that they are not the correct tightness?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I wanted to clean the chain rings and so removed them as they are very hard to clean otherwise

I didn't want to tamper with the BB so I just took off the large and middle chain rings (Triple from a Giant SCR2), cleaned all three (the smallest was easily accessible while still attached) and put then back on.

I was careful to finger tighten the screws first then gradually tighten each one by the same amount

Question - I have read somewhere that it is important not to over tighten these screws.
Park Tools recommends 44-88 inch pounds of torque for aluminum bolts, and 70-95 inch pounds for steel bolts.

I did not use a torque tool I didn't over force them but they are tight .. Should I be worried that they are not the correct tightness?

I think that unless you are a uberman then your hand tightening will be fine. That torque is pretty high IIRC.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Truvativ Touro?

It's fairly easy to take the chainset off, fwiw, but you need a tool called a crank puller, and a large allen key (8mm, to remove the crank bolts).

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

Truvativ Touro?

It's fairly easy to take the chainset off, fwiw, but you need a tool called a crank puller, and a large allen key (8mm, to remove the crank bolts).

Yep the very fellow I did get the first 2 chain rings off I probably could have got the small one too but I was just cleaning it and once the other 2 were off I could get at it So its looking cleaner now :rolleyes:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Yep the very fellow I did get the first 2 chain rings off I probably could have got the small one too but I was just cleaning it and once the other 2 were off I could get at it So its looking cleaner now :rolleyes:

Heh :smile:

I put Hollowtech II on my SCR - the Truvativ chainset (with a new BB) graces my Long Haul Trucker now, although it has FSA rings (lovely) replacing the originals.

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

Heh :smile:

I put Hollowtech II on my SCR - the Truvativ chainset (with a new BB) graces my Long Haul Trucker now, although it has FSA rings (lovely) replacing the originals.

1 step at a time! At some point I'll be changing the bottom bracket and chainset - quite looking forward to it i a sad sort of way :rolleyes: But not 2 weeks before an event ..

Top Bottom