Challenges and electric bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the rider still finds the rides challenging despite using an e-bike, then that sounds okay to me!

It would be a bit different if somebody used an e-bike and then bragged about how easy the rides were... :whistle:

13 rider

Guru
As the unofficial thread monitor for the 50km challenge . I try to keep it friendly and inclusive and as stated above I have no issue with e bikes if there legal and are pedal assist so the rider still puts in an effort if that gets you out riding further than you could manage on a standard it's all good for me . I can't really speak for the other challenges

I'm a bit surprised how little comment there seems to be on this. The only policy statement I can find is from @13 rider a couple of years ago.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...m-a-month-chatzone.256079/page-4#post-5852680

This sounds admirably inclusive, but I can imagine that not everyone would agree. Simple question then: are e-bike rides admissible for the challenges?

Asking for a friend. ⚡

My rides are a lot faster on my summer carbon fibre race bike than they are on my heavier gravel bike. Nobody bats an eyelid about superbikes being used for rides - I don't mind what people ride so long as they're riding.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think the only people who would object are young fit whippets who have not encountered arthritis yet. The challenges are our own personal challenges so do it any way you can.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just an add on to this. I bought a guide book about e bike tours in Denmark yesterday. I dont have an e bike, but the tours look good and vary between 30 - 200+km rides. I will have a look at one today and hopfully get to ride it this week.

20220515_214615.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I actually think it may differ challenge-by-challenge. They tend to have different rules and different overall "atmospheres" (not a good word but I hope you get what I mean). eg ICaM is a bit more austere, and has an explicit exclusion of indoor rides. Some of the other challenges are fine with indoor rides I think. You might find a similar thing with ebikes.

But why do you ask? Are you thinking of getting an e-bike or is it just curiosity? Or do you mean "asking for a friend" literally?

Personal opinion: I don't really care, as I'm challenging myself not competing with others. Other people could do them on 750cc motorbikes and it wouldn't affect my challenge. I know others differ as someone recently was unhappy at the widespread use of turbos in one or the other challenges. I forget which, I'd have to go back and look. (I was thinking of this post)

Actually, thinking about it - 100 mile rides could have their own challenges on an e-bike as you could be gambling with range/finding recharge points, and may have to complete your ride on a very heavy un-E-bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I actually think it may differ challenge-by-challenge. They tend to have different rules and different overall "atmospheres" (not a good word but I hope you get what I mean). eg ICaM is a bit more austere, and has an explicit exclusion of indoor rides. Some of the other challenges are fine with indoor rides I think. You might find a similar thing with ebikes.

But why do you ask? Are you thinking of getting an e-bike or is it just curiosity? Or do you mean "asking for a friend" literally?

Personal opinion: I don't really care, as I'm challenging myself not competing with others. Other people could do them on 750cc motorbikes and it wouldn't affect my challenge. I know others differ as someone recently was unhappy at the widespread use of turbos in one or the other challenges. I forget which, I'd have to go back and look. (I was thinking of this post)

Actually, thinking about it - 100 mile rides could have their own challenges on an e-bike as you could be gambling with range/finding recharge points, and may have to complete your ride on a very heavy un-E-bike.
I thought the question would be of general interest, and it didn't feel appropriate to ask in a challenge-specific thread.

I'd had exactly the same thought about the different atmospheres surrounding the various challenges. I like your use of the word by the way. Naturally I'm most interested in the ICaM challenge, and as you say, there are some obvious additional hurdles to overcome which become ever higher as the distance grows longer. So I was also wondering if there might be a place for one or more e-bike specific challenges. There's plenty of time to think about it before next January.

My new friend is called Francis, after Francisco Scaramanga from The Man with the Golden Gun:

Francis.jpg

I don't know what it's for either. I'll find an appropriate place to introduce him properly.

Top Bottom